Thermochemistry-heat of reaction

• Thread starter Jm4872
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the problem involves calculating the final temperature of water in an insulated container after 5.00g of steam at 100.0 degrees Celsius is passed into 100.0g of water at 27.0 degrees Celsius. Using the equations q=mct and q=nH, the attempt at a solution involved finding the number of moles of steam, calculating the heat released by the steam, and setting it equal to the heat absorbed by the water. However, there appears to be a mistake in the calculation involving 4.18. Further clarification is needed to find the correct solution.
Jm4872

Homework Statement

What will be the final temperature of the water in an insulated container as the result of passing 5.00 of steam at 100.0 into 100.0 of water at 27.0?

Homework Equations

q=mct
q=nH

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost as to how to solve for final temperature, I attempted it, but it didn't work, this is what I did.

n=5.00g/(18.02g/mol)=0.277 mol

q=(0.277 mol)*(40.6KJ/mol)=11.27KJ
11.27KJ=mct
11.27KJ=(100g)*(4.18)*(Tf-27)
(11.27/418)=Tf-27
Tf=(0.02696)+27=27.0

can someone please help, I am so lost :( I don't understand what it is that I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Jm4872 said:
passing 5.00 of steam at 100.0 into 100.0 of water at 27.0?

5 of what, 100 of what, 100 of what, 27 of what?

Borek said:
5 of what, 100 of what, 100 of what, 27 of what?

oops, I didn't realize that the values didn't show up.

it should be 5.00g, 100degrees celcius, 100.0g and 27 degrees celcius

Jm4872 said:
11.27KJ=(100g)*(4.18)*(Tf-27)

4.18 of what?

or what I'm missing.

It appears that you are on the right track with your calculations, but there are a few things that need to be adjusted. First, the value for the specific heat capacity of water should be 4.18 J/g*K, not 4.18 KJ/mol as you have used. This will give you a more accurate value for the final temperature. Additionally, you have used the specific heat capacity of water, but you should be using the specific heat capacity of steam (2.01 J/g*K) since the initial substance is steam.

Secondly, the value for the enthalpy of vaporization (H) should be used in the calculation, as this is the amount of energy required to convert 1 mole of steam into water at the same temperature. In this case, the equation should be q = nH, where n is the number of moles of steam (0.277 mol) and H is the enthalpy of vaporization of water (40.6 kJ/mol).

Finally, once you have calculated the total amount of heat (q) that is transferred from the steam to the water, you can use the equation q = mct to solve for the final temperature of the water. Make sure to use the correct values for mass (100.0 g) and specific heat capacity (4.18 J/g*K) of water in this equation.

Overall, your approach is correct but some adjustments need to be made in order to get a more accurate final temperature. I hope this helps clarify the concept of thermochemistry and heat of reaction for you. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help if you are still struggling.

What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the heat energy involved in chemical reactions and changes in state of matter.

What is heat of reaction?

Heat of reaction, also known as enthalpy of reaction, is the amount of heat energy either released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

How is heat of reaction measured?

Heat of reaction is measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the change in temperature of a reaction.

What factors can affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction can be affected by the type of reactants, the amount of reactants, the physical state of the reactants, and the temperature and pressure of the reaction environment.

What is the relationship between heat of reaction and bond energy?

The heat of reaction is directly related to the bond energy of the chemical bonds involved in the reaction. Breaking bonds requires energy, while forming bonds releases energy, and the net difference between these two is the heat of reaction.