WWII History buffs: Interesting CIA docs

In summary, the conversation discussed a unique and potentially valuable document found while reviewing old CIA files, specifically a 48-page document from 1945 about Japanese espionage and secret operatives in Shanghai. The conversation also mentioned a book titled "Into Tibet" that touches on CIA activity in China after WWII and the document was noted as a potentially interesting read. The link to access the document was also shared.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While poking around and reviewing some the old CIA files at the FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] reading room, I noticed a rather unusual, forty eight page document dated Aug, 1945, that discusses Japaneses espionage and secret operatives, Chinese complicity, and is titled "SHANGHAI - COUNTER-ESPIONAGE SUMMARY"

I thought that anyone interested in this period of history and intelligence operations may find this some unique reading. It also strikes me as a potentially good source for an interesting political science or history report.

If you want to read go here
http://www.foia.cia.gov/search.asp?pageNumber=1&freqReqRecord=undefined&refinedText=undefined&freqSearchText=undefined&txtSearch=UFO&exactPhrase=&allWords=&anyWords=&withoutWords=&documentNumber=&startCreatedMonth=&startCreatedDay=&startCreatedYear=&endCreatedMonth=&endCreatedDay=&endCreatedYear=0&startReleasedMonth=&startReleasedDay=&startReleasedYear=&endReleasedMonth=&endReleasedDay=&endReleasedYear=0&sortOrder=ASC

You will see the report title above as the first option. I find it easiest to copy the picture and read using a viewer. The text is difficult but with a zoom I find it manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
There's a book called Into Tibet by Thomas Laird that talks about the CIA's activity in China after WWII. It talks about the early intelligence gathering done on the Soviet nuclear program, the US attempts to ally with the Mongols, and the diplomatic and intelligence snafus by the US that pushed China toward its takeover of Tibet. Quite interesting.

The document you pointed to looks to be interesting also.

Thank you for sharing this interesting find! I am definitely interested in reading this document and learning more about the history of espionage in Shanghai during that time period. It's always fascinating to uncover new information about past events and how they may have shaped current events. I agree that this could be a great resource for a political science or history report. I appreciate you providing the link to access the document as well. Happy reading!

1. What information can be found in the CIA documents about WWII?

The CIA documents contain a variety of information about WWII, including intelligence reports, strategic analysis, and historical accounts of key events and figures during the war.

2. Are the CIA documents accurate and reliable sources of information about WWII?

The CIA documents are considered to be reliable sources of information, as they were created by trained intelligence professionals and based on extensive research and analysis. However, it is important to also consider other sources and perspectives when studying WWII history.

3. How were these CIA documents obtained and declassified?

The CIA documents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), which allows for the release of government documents after a certain period of time. Declassification of these documents is determined by the National Archives and Records Administration and the CIA's Historical Review Program.

4. Can these CIA documents shed new light on lesser-known aspects of WWII?

Yes, the CIA documents can provide new insights and information on lesser-known aspects of WWII, as they often contain details and perspectives that may not be found in other historical records.

5. How can these CIA documents be accessed and utilized by researchers and historians?

The CIA documents are available for public access through the National Archives and Records Administration's website. Researchers and historians can use these documents as a valuable resource for studying and understanding WWII history.

Back