Kirchhoff's Loop Rule: Example 26.4 Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's loop rule in a circuit. The example given involves a 12V battery being used to recharge a run-down battery. The equation for loop 1 states that all 12V are being used in this loop, but in reality, some of the voltage is used to push current from point b to point a. This is because voltage is a difference in electric potential and does not split up like current does. The concept of conservative electric fields is also mentioned. The conversation ends with an invitation for help with a project involving Kirchhoff's rules and an explanation of how to ask for help on the Physics Forums website.
PainterGuy
hi everyone

this is about the example 26.4 in attached pdf. I'm having problem in conceptual understanding of kirchhoff's loop rule. I'm total beginner in physics. in the example 12v battery is used to feed the entire circuit, primarily to recharge the run-down battery. please see the highlighted part. the equation could be written as: 12v = (3A)r + 2A(3 ohm). this is the equation for loop labelled 1 in the diagram. this equation is saying that all the emf of 12v is being used in loop no. 1. r is 2 ohm - which means 12v = 3x2 + 2x3 = 12v. but "in reality" this is not the case because some of volts out of total emf of 12 are being used to push the electrons (or current) from point "b" to point "a". what I'm saying is that not all the volts are being used to traverse the loop labelled 1 (as the equation assumes). if this really was the case then there won't be any volts left to push the electrons through run-down battery. please help me to grasp the conceptual understanding of this aspect of kirchhoff loop rule. any help would be welcome.

edit: i just uploaded the pdf on googledoc:---
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...EyNjQtOGZkZjFmN2U0OWIy&hl=en&authkey=CPPhp64O

Attachments

• kircchoff rule.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi painterguy! :smile:
painterguy said:
… but "in reality" this is not the case because some of volts out of total emf of 12 are being used to push the electrons (or current) from point "b" to point "a".

what I'm saying is that not all the volts are being used to traverse the loop labelled 1 (as the equation assumes). if this really was the case then there won't be any volts left to push the electrons through run-down battery.

no, you're fundamentally misunderstanding what https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=301" is …

voltage is a difference, the difference in electric potential between two points

the difference in potential between points a and b in the diagram is the same whether you go straight across or via the 3Ω

current splits up at a junction (there's only so much of it), but potential doesn't

imagine tilting the page, left-side-up …

instead of wires there are water-pipes, and the 12 V battery is now a water pump pumping upwards …

the gravitational potential difference down the middle section is the same as down the 3Ω section …

the 12 V pump gets the water up to the top level (the LHS in the diagram), but once it's there, the gravity makes it go down (through either path), not the pump :wink:
edit: i just uploaded the pdf on googledoc:---

ooh, I've not seen that before … that's cool! :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole idea is that electric fields are conservative, the integral of E*dl (same as potential) is zero around any closed path.

can u help me in my project in physics about kirchhoff loop rule and junction rule and can you provide me also with some examples tnx

welcome to pf!

hi cr0wncl0wn25! welcome to pf! :wink:

please start a new thread in the physics homework forum

as always, it helps if you tell us how far you've got, and give a specific problem (about Kirchhoff's rules) that you're having trouble with :smile:

What is Kirchhoff's Loop Rule?

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that same loop. In other words, the total voltage around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero.

How is Kirchhoff's Loop Rule applied in Example 26.4?

In Example 26.4, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule is applied to a circuit with two voltage sources connected in series with two resistors. By using Kirchhoff's Loop Rule, we can calculate the current flowing through each resistor and the voltage drop across each resistor.

Why is Kirchhoff's Loop Rule important in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis, as it allows us to determine the current and voltage distribution in a circuit. This is important in understanding the behavior of a circuit and designing efficient and reliable electronic systems.

Can Kirchhoff's Loop Rule be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule can be applied to any closed loop in a circuit, regardless of its complexity. It is a universal law that holds true in all types of electric circuits.

Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's Loop Rule?

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is valid in all cases. However, it assumes that the circuit is in a steady state and that there are no changing magnetic fields present. In certain situations, such as when dealing with rapidly changing currents or electromagnetic induction, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule may not be applicable.