Are non-sex chromosomes considered homologous?

• Thread starter Agent M27
  • Start date
In summary, all chromosomes, aside from the X and Y chromosomes, are homologous. This is possible because they have the same length, gene location, and centromere position. However, if a gene is inherited from one parent who is unrelated to the other parent, the chromosomes that are inherited will be different with respect to the alleles of the genes present, but they will still be homologous.
Agent M27
Are all chromosomes, aside from the X and Y chromosomes, homologous? This is what my book is implying, however I cannot find a clear, definitive, yes or no. If this is the case I guess my next question would be; how is this possible? I know that homologues have the same length, gene location, and centromere position. However, if I am inheriting genes from one parent, who is unrelated to my other parent, how can the chromosomes I inherited be homologous? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Biology news on Phys.org
Agent M27 said:
Are all chromosomes, aside from the X and Y chromosomes, homologous?

Yes they are.

Agent M27 said:
How is this possible? I know that homologues have the same length, gene location, and centromere position. However, if I am inheriting genes from one parent, who is unrelated to my other parent, how can the chromosomes I inherited be homologous?

Well you answered your question yourself! Pairs of chromosomes which have the same length, the same genes at their corresponding locations (loci to be precise), and centromere position, are called homologous chromosomes.

I understand what you are trying to imply, that the chromosomes inherited from the parents are different. But they are only different with respect to the alleles of the genes which are present in them, not the genes themselves. A pair of homologous chromosomes will have the same gene at the same place though they may be two different alleles of the same gene.

Also relatedness does not matter. In fact it is beneficial for the child if the parents are not closely related, but that's another story.

Thanks a lot mishrashubham, I think I got it now. Since there must be a gene for eyes, hair, etc. both parents, in general, posses all of these genes, it is the alleles which are different. If I understand correctly, when the chromosomes from each parent join, they are of the same architecture, except one may have the allele for brown eyes while the other chromosome might have the gene for green eyes, but the genes themselves are the same. Thanks again.

Joe

What are homologous chromosomes?

Homologous chromosomes are a pair of chromosomes that have the same genes in the same order, but may have different versions of those genes. They are inherited from each parent and are involved in the process of genetic inheritance.

How do homologous chromosomes differ from non-homologous chromosomes?

Homologous chromosomes have the same genes in the same order, while non-homologous chromosomes do not. Non-homologous chromosomes also do not pair up during meiosis, while homologous chromosomes do.

Why are homologous chromosomes important?

Homologous chromosomes are important because they are involved in the process of genetic inheritance. During meiosis, homologous chromosomes pair up and exchange genetic information, resulting in genetic variation in offspring.

Can homologous chromosomes have different versions of genes?

Yes, homologous chromosomes can have different versions of genes, known as alleles. For example, one homologous chromosome may have a gene for brown eyes, while the other may have a gene for blue eyes.

How many sets of homologous chromosomes do humans have?

Humans have 23 pairs of homologous chromosomes, for a total of 46 chromosomes. This includes 22 pairs of autosomes and 1 pair of sex chromosomes (XX for females and XY for males).