Where am I going to graduate school?

In summary, if you are a junior majoring in physics at a state school that's not known for its physics program, your GPA isn't a 4.0, but it's reasonably close, and you're taking what you'd consider an 'average' course load (whatever that means), then you should ask your professors that know you the best and look at physicsgre.com for more information about what schools are a good fit for you.
capandbells
This is something I've been wondering about for a while. When I tell people I'm going to graduate school, they inevitably ask me where I'm considering going. The thing is, I have no idea what my list of schools to consider should even look like at this point. I'm a junior majoring in physics at a state school that's not known for its physics program (although it is well-known for being a party school). My GPA isn't a 4.0, but it's reasonably close, and I'm taking what I'd consider an 'average' course load (whatever that means). My research experience is limited: last summer I worked in my school's accelerator lab, but I didn't really do anything, and it ended up mostly just being a hands-on course in accelerator physics. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely not 'research.' This summer, I'm working one on one with one of my professors doing research in nanoparticles, which should hopefully be much more productive. This professor helped me out a lot by helping me get funding for this summer. He has also told me that he will try his best to get me a publication out of the work I do with him. I can almost certainly get a strong letter from him, as well as a couple more 'OK' letters from other professors I know. Given that I don't know how I'll do on the Physics GRE yet, can anyone help at least give me a "tier" of schools I should be looking at? Should I even consider 'top' schools? I realize there's a lot of subjectivity and randomness in this process, but I've been becoming increasingly concerned that I don't even have the slightest clue where I might be going when I need to apply later this year.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you I'd first ask my professors that know me the best, especially the one you are working for. Aside from that, I'd also ask my undergraduate advisor, who should have a good idea of past placement history for graduates from your school.

You should definitely consider "top" schools, but you shouldn't get too caught up in thinking about tiers. You seem to be doing the right things to make you a good candidate for admissions. What you also need to do is figure out what schools are a right fit for you. To start, you should make a list of what you require out of a grad school. This would include having active groups in the areas that interest you, as well as geographic/social issues that would be relevant over the 5+ years that you might be there. The important thing is that there's no point in applying to a school that you'd be unhappy attending. However, there are many options that should suit you and with a suitably broad list of places to apply, your chances of being accepted at a place where you will be able to thrive should be very good.

physicsgre.com is an amazing resource for this situation. http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3421" is this year's thread where 150 people posted information about their grad school application profile, where they applied, and where they got in. There are similar threads for 2010, 2009, and 2008. If you just take some time to read through these, you'll get probable as good a sense as you can of what admission standards are like at various places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a major factor, possibly as big a factor as research experience, will be the score you get on the physics GRE. In my opinion, you probably should decide if you want to go to the top tier now so you have time to study and do well on the GRE.

A good GRE score won't get you in, but a bad one can certainly keep you out.

Regarding the physics GRE, will it be a problem if I haven't had a legit E&M course before the test? Is the E&M at the level of Halliday and Resnick enough?

The_Duck said:
physicsgre.com is an amazing resource for this situation. http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3421" is this year's thread where 150 people posted information about their grad school application profile, where they applied, and where they got in. There are similar threads for 2010, 2009, and 2008. If you just take some time to read through these, you'll get probable as good a sense as you can of what admission standards are like at various places.

I am so happy that I clicked this thread. That is an amazing resource and I want to personally extend my gratitude to you for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school?

When choosing a graduate school, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty members and their research interests, location and cost, availability of funding and scholarships, and career opportunities after graduation.

2. Is it better to attend a top-ranked graduate school or one that is a good fit for my research interests?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. Attending a top-ranked school can provide you with more opportunities and resources, but it is also important to choose a program that aligns with your research interests and fits your academic and personal needs.

3. How do I know if I am qualified for graduate school?

Each graduate program has its own set of admission requirements, but generally, you should have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and strong letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in.

4. Should I apply to multiple graduate schools?

It is recommended to apply to multiple graduate schools to increase your chances of acceptance. However, be sure to carefully consider the programs and choose ones that you are genuinely interested in and meet your academic and career goals.

5. How important is the location of the graduate school?

The location of the graduate school can play a significant role in your overall experience. Consider factors such as cost of living, available housing, and the local job market if you plan to work while in school. Additionally, consider if the location provides opportunities for networking and industry connections related to your field of study.