Electronics Repair: Just an Observation

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that sometimes electronics may start working again after being taken apart and put back together, possibly due to corrosion or dust build-up. The idea of circuits feeling lonely or even malicious is also mentioned in a humorous tone.
trini
Ok so I've noticed in my time playing with electronics, which isn't that long, that sometime when something breaks and i just take it apart, pretend i know what I am looking for, and put it back together, it usually works. maybe circuits just feel lonely sometimes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sometimes, it's just the corrosion or loosening of joints / wiring / connections. That or a necessary cleaning out of dust / grime / etc., as I tend to do.

That or a necessary cleaning out of dust / grime / etc., as I tend to do.

Thar's plenty of that available for cleaning at Studio T, any time.

:rofl:

Last edited:
I'll agree with the lonely explanation. In fact I had two electronic "art pieces" that I checked and cleaned before a recent party. Neither worked, even after multiple fiddles, during the party. They both worked fine the next day. So I'd bump up the anthropomorphizing to "malicious".

schip666! said:
I'll agree with the lonely explanation. In fact I had two electronic "art pieces" that I checked and cleaned before a recent party. Neither worked, even after multiple fiddles, during the party. They both worked fine the next day. So I'd bump up the anthropomorphizing to "malicious".

Never anthropomorphize circuits. They hate it when you do tha. :wink:

1) What is the purpose of electronics repair?

Electronics repair is the process of fixing or restoring electronic devices that have malfunctioned or stopped working properly. It helps to extend the lifespan of these devices and save money by avoiding the need for replacement.

2) What are the most common types of electronic devices that require repair?

The most common types of electronic devices that require repair include smartphones, laptops, computers, televisions, and gaming consoles. However, any electronic device can potentially require repair if it experiences issues or damage.

3) What are the most common problems that can be fixed through electronics repair?

The most common problems that can be fixed through electronics repair include damaged screens, malfunctioning hardware components, software issues, and water damage. However, the specific problems will vary depending on the device and its usage.

4) What skills are needed to perform electronics repair?

To perform electronics repair, one needs to have a strong understanding of electronics and how different components work together. Knowledge of soldering and circuitry is also important, as well as troubleshooting skills and the ability to use specialized tools and equipment.

5) When should I consider repairing an electronic device instead of replacing it?

You should consider repairing an electronic device instead of replacing it when the cost of repair is significantly lower than the cost of a new device, when the device has sentimental value, or when the device is still functional aside from the specific issue that needs to be fixed.