Dimensional analysis. Conversion factor confusion

The problem itself is not about the lack of knowledge about the conversion factors, but about the lack of experience with the reasonability of the result.In summary, the poster used the correct conversion factor but made a mistake in the calculation, resulting in a misplaced decimal point. The teacher may have also made a similar mistake, as their given answer does not match the correct conversion factor. The larger issue is not understanding the reasonability of the result, which can come with more experience.
Edin_Dzeko

Homework Statement

How many centimeters are there in 3.25 miles?

Homework Equations

So basically, convert 3.25 mi to cm.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4916/problemwc.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The teacher put the answer for this problem as 5.16 x 10^5 The teacher used:
(1609 m/1 mile)(100 cm/ 1 m) as her conversion factor. Why / how is mine wrong? I used the metric prefixes system to get my conversion factor numbers.

****(This was done with MS Paint so please disregard the 3rd grader hand writing.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edin_Dzeko said:

Homework Statement

How many centimeters are there in 3.25 miles?

Homework Equations

So basically, convert 3.25 mi to cm.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4916/problemwc.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The teacher put the answer for this problem as 5.16 x 10^5 The teacher used:
(1609 m/1 mile)(100 cm/ 1 m) as her conversion factor. Why / how is mine wrong? I used the metric prefixes system to get my conversion factor numbers.

****(This was done with MS Paint so please disregard the 3rd grader hand writing.)

You have a misplaced decimal point in your answer, but that could be left over from Paint.

Still, I don't know why the teacher's answer isn't 5.23*10^5cm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: 1 m = 100 cm

SteamKing said:
Hint: 1 m = 100 cm

That's equivalent to 1cm = 0.01m, both give perfectly valid conversion factors.

5.23x105 cm it is, there is a mistake in the given answer.

Even google agrees.

Okay. Thanks guys. This clears it up.

Here's an exact copy and paste of what the teacher's response was:

3.25 miles (1609 m/1 mile)(100 cm/ 1 m) = 5.16 X 10^5 cm

So my conversion factor wasn't off. I guess it might have been a mistake.

The larger point is, by using the conversion 1 cm / 0.01 m in the calculation, the poster multiplied 5229.25 m by 1 cm / 0.01 m. The poster then canceled the 'm' units and neglected to apply the factor '0.01' in the denominator of the conversion factor. If the poster had used the conversion factor 1 m = 100 cm, it should have been readily apparent that the magnitude of the result in cm should be greater than the measurement in m.

Edin_Dzeko said:
Okay. Thanks guys. This clears it up.

Here's an exact copy and paste of what the teacher's response was:

3.25 miles (1609 m/1 mile)(100 cm/ 1 m) = 5.16 X 10^5 cm

So my conversion factor wasn't off. I guess it might have been a mistake.

Looks like your teacher accidentally did 3.21 miles instead of 3.25 miles.

Did you move the decimal point in your answer in time to get full credit?

SteamKing said:
The larger point is, by using the conversion 1 cm / 0.01 m in the calculation, the poster multiplied 5229.25 m by 1 cm / 0.01 m. The poster then canceled the 'm' units and neglected to apply the factor '0.01' in the denominator of the conversion factor. If the poster had used the conversion factor 1 m = 100 cm, it should have been readily apparent that the magnitude of the result in cm should be greater than the measurement in m.

It doesn't hold water, seems to me it is as easy to forget to divide by 0.01 as it is to forget to multiply by 100. If you have enough experience in both cases it is obvious there is something wrong with the final result order of magnitude. If you lack the experience - you will not see it no matter how long you look.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert between different units of measurement. It involves using conversion factors and canceling out units to ensure that the final answer has the correct units.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important?

Dimensional analysis is important because it allows scientists to accurately convert between different units of measurement. This is crucial in experiments and calculations, as using the wrong units can lead to incorrect results.

3. How do I know which conversion factors to use?

Conversion factors are typically given in scientific tables or can be found through research. It is important to carefully select the correct conversion factors to ensure that the units cancel out correctly and the final answer is accurate.

4. What is the difference between dimensional analysis and unit conversion?

Dimensional analysis and unit conversion are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Dimensional analysis involves using conversion factors to cancel out units and ensure the final answer has the correct units, while unit conversion simply involves converting between two different units of measurement without using conversion factors.

5. How can I avoid confusion with conversion factors?

To avoid confusion with conversion factors, it is important to carefully identify and cancel out units in a step-by-step manner. It may also be helpful to double check the accuracy of the conversion factor and the units being used.