Understanding Lift Generated by Rowing Blades

• Thread starter aeb2335
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of lift in relation to rowing oars and how it differs from lift in aerodynamics. It is suggested that the main force propelling the boat is drag, but optimizing lift and vortices can still have a secondary effect. The design of curved oar blades is thought to minimize slippage through the water and reduce pressure on the convex side of the blade. The length of the blade allows for a distance multiplier effect, reducing the force needed to move the boat. Further research into optimizing blade design is recommended.
aeb2335
Here is my question:

To my understanding aerofoils on an airplane air flow moves (horizontally) in the same direction as the motion of the aircraft; the aero foil then creates a pressure difference and an unbalanced force and lift is generated. Rowing blade manufacturers throughout their literature (see link below) talk about lift and angle of attack etc. What I do not understand is that how can you have lift when the direction of motion (the path the blade goes through the water) is largely perpendicular to the leading edge of the blade? Or is the flow that generates lift simply a function of the horizontal component of the water that flows over the blade. Any insight (or things to further research) and how one could being to optimize a blade would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Disclaimer: I have not taken fluids yet

Link:

http://www.concept2.com/us/oars/pursuit/blade_path.asp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Lift" is usually defined as the component of the fluiddynamic force perpendicular to the relative fluid flow. The parallel component is called "drag". Even if most of the force on the paddle is drag, there might be a significant lift in some phases of the stroke.

But they also might mean something completely different by "lift", like the vertical to surface component.

I agree with post #2. The "lift force" and vortices are not the the main forces propelling the boat, though optimizing them may be a useful secondary effect.

The main force is actually the drag force caused by trying to push a flat plate (the oar blade) backwards through the water, perpendicular to the surface of the plate. The oar works as a lever to transfer the force to the boat. Since a racing boat is much more streamlined than the oar blades, the boat moves forwards much further than the oar blade moves backwards, relative to the water. If you row a heavy dinghy with short oars, the opposite is true!

You can easily see the small amount of motion of the oars trelative to the water if you look at a rowing eight traveling at racing speed. The oars enter and leave the water almost vertically relative to the water, and at every stroke the 8 oars enter a new undisturbed section of water and leave a set of small vortices when they leave the water. Presumably the improved oar design minimizes the energy that is wasted in creating those vortices.

I would normally be skeptical of manufacturer's blurb but, bearing in mind that there are a lot of quite bright Engineering and Science types involved in rowing, I guess there may be something in the concept of 'lift'. I think that high performance blades are, in fact, curved. The turbulence would produce low pressure on the forward facing surface of the oar, which would reduce slippage through the water. You 'could' call that lift.

If you look at the direction of incoming water that the oar sees, it's clear the oar has a small angle of attack much of the time.
attachment.php?attachmentid=37958&stc=1&d=1313187270.png

Attachments

• oars.png
    oars.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 684
That looks pretty convincing - possible the actual range of angles could be a bit smaller. It is reasonable to suppose that the right shape of curve could produce a useful lowering of pressure on the convex side of the blade - so less slippage. I use a pair of conventional 'seagoing' oars on my 10' tender. They do slip quite a lot - but then, the boat itself is relatively like a brick, compared with a rowing 8. The length of a racing blade will be much greater so that the speed of the boat relative to the stationary (in the water) blade can be high. (A distance multiplier type of lever)

1. What is lift in terms of rowing blades?

Lift is the force that is generated perpendicular to the direction of motion of the rowing blade. It is responsible for propelling the boat forward and is created by the shape and angle of the blade as it moves through the water.

2. How does the shape of the rowing blade affect lift?

The shape of the rowing blade is crucial in determining the amount of lift it can generate. A curved or cambered shape creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces of the blade, resulting in a lift force. The angle of the blade also plays a role in lift, with a greater angle of attack (the angle between the blade and the water surface) resulting in more lift.

3. What factors influence the lift generated by rowing blades?

The lift generated by rowing blades is influenced by the shape, angle, and speed of the blade. Other factors such as the rower's technique, the boat's speed and weight, and the water conditions can also impact the lift force.

4. Is lift the only force generated by rowing blades?

No, lift is not the only force generated by rowing blades. Drag, which is the force that resists the motion of the blade through the water, is also present. The balance between lift and drag is essential in achieving efficient rowing and maximizing boat speed.

5. How can understanding lift generated by rowing blades improve performance?

Understanding lift can help rowers and coaches optimize their technique and equipment for maximum lift and minimum drag. This can result in improved boat speed and efficiency, leading to better performance in races and training.