Intracellular Mechanism of IGF-1

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, IGF-1 has been shown to increase the regeneration of nerve cells, but the actual mechanisms behind this effect are not fully understood. Many studies have been conducted on this topic, but most are on a basic level and suggest that the PI3 kinase pathway may be involved. A pubmed search for "IGF-1 and neurons" yields numerous results, but further research is needed to fully understand the mechanism.
nautica
IGF-1 has been shown to increase regeneration of nerve cells. I have seen the studies, but am unable to find the actual mechanisms. Does anybody have any information on this or know where I could find it.

I have look through my cell and molecular biology book, but can not seem to find it.

thanks
nautica

Biology news on Phys.org
I doubt you'll find anything in a textbook on it. I don't think the mechanism is fully understood yet. Most of what I find on the topic seems to still be on a pretty basic level: add IGF-1 and see an effect on neuroprotection. If you do a pubmed search on "IGF-1 and neurons" you'll get a long list of results. I only skimmed a few pages in and saw a few titles suggesting the PI3 kinase pathway may be involved, but nothing more than that.

Yup, that's what I was afraid of.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Nautica

What is IGF-1?

IGF-1 stands for Insulin-like Growth Factor 1, which is a protein hormone that plays a crucial role in cell growth and development.

How does IGF-1 work at the cellular level?

IGF-1 binds to specific receptors on the surface of cells and activates a signaling pathway that promotes cell growth and division. It also stimulates the production of other growth factors and regulates cell survival and metabolism.

What are the functions of IGF-1 in the body?

IGF-1 is essential for normal growth and development, particularly during childhood and adolescence. It also helps maintain tissue and organ function in adults, and plays a role in wound healing and tissue repair.

What are the effects of high levels of IGF-1?

High levels of IGF-1 have been linked to increased cell proliferation and growth, which can lead to an increased risk of cancer. It has also been associated with conditions such as acromegaly and gigantism, where there is excessive growth of bones and tissues.

How can IGF-1 levels be regulated?

IGF-1 levels are primarily regulated by growth hormone, which is produced by the pituitary gland. Other factors, such as nutrition, exercise, and stress, can also affect IGF-1 levels. Certain medications and medical conditions can also impact IGF-1 production and signaling.