Does QM end Free Will/ Determinism debate ?

In summary, the debate over determinism vs. indeterminism is far from settled. There are multiple interpretations that still need to be discussed, and it's doubtful that either one will fully settle the matter.
Van Dort
Hello :smile:

I think my question is clear...
Another questions that need to be asked:
  • What about the deterministic interpretations of QM?
    and
  • Do indeterministic interpretations PROVE that there is really no causality on subatomic level ?
Please help me! I am more than a little confused about the meaning of this concepts. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Van Dort said:
I'm afraid it's not. :frown:

Demystifier said:
I'm afraid it's not. :frown:

Hi
Check this out please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLR5vNKiSw

Last edited by a moderator:
Quantum physics does not make the universe purely random as quantum effects become probabilistic on the macro scale (thus is my understanding).

As for the determinism/free will debate I rarely hear anyone adequately explain what they mean by "free will". The three schools I thought I've learned of are determinism, compatabilism and libertarianism (not to be confused with the political/economic philosophy). The first of these states that all actions are pre-determined so free-will does not exist, the latter claims that something unique about conscious decision making means that cause and effect do not apply to it (a religious claim if there ever was one). The middle philosophy which I subscribe to highlights that even though some actions may be inevitable (or probable) we still have experience and knowledge of decision making and so they are useful terms that we can utilise.

Van Dort said:
Hello :smile:

Another questions that need to be asked:
  • What about the deterministic interpretations of QM?
    and
  • Do indeterministic interpretations PROVE that there is really no causality on subatomic level ?
Please help me! I am more than a little confused about the meaning of this concepts. :confused:

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Van Dort!

The debate is far from over, for a variety of reasons. First, there are viable determininstic and indeterministic interpretations currently on the table. Second, I doubt that eliminating one or the other will fully settle anything. There is a lot of room for philosophical discussion of what free will is anyway. Ditto for causality.

1. What is the relationship between quantum mechanics and free will?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale. It has been suggested that the randomness and uncertainty in quantum mechanics could allow for free will in decision-making. However, this is still a topic of debate among scientists and philosophers.

2. Can quantum mechanics prove or disprove determinism?

Determinism is the belief that all events are predetermined by previous causes and that free will is an illusion. Quantum mechanics introduces the concept of randomness and uncertainty, which challenges determinism. However, it does not definitively prove or disprove determinism as a whole.

3. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to free will?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. Some have argued that this principle can be applied to human decision-making, suggesting that our choices are not predetermined and therefore, we have free will.

4. What are the main arguments for and against quantum mechanics ending the free will/determinism debate?

Those who believe that quantum mechanics could end the debate argue that the randomness and uncertainty in quantum mechanics allows for true free will. On the other hand, some argue that quantum mechanics does not necessarily imply free will and that determinism can still be compatible with quantum mechanics.

5. How do scientists and philosophers view the role of quantum mechanics in the free will/determinism debate?

There is no consensus among scientists and philosophers on the role of quantum mechanics in the free will/determinism debate. Some believe that it could provide evidence for free will, while others argue that it does not necessarily prove or disprove determinism. The debate continues with ongoing research and philosophical discussions.