Show -1 and +1 are only solutions to x^2 = 1 (mod p^2) for odd prime p.

• Thread starter Vespero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the equation x^2-1 = 0 (mod p^n) implies that p^n|x^2-1, and either p^n|(x+1) or p^n|(x-1) depending on whether p|2.
Vespero

Homework Statement

Let p be an odd prime and n be an integer. Show that -1 and +1 and the only solutions to [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^n.[/itex] Hint: What does [itex]a \equiv b\ mod\ m[/itex] mean, then think a bit.

Homework Equations

[itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^n \rightarrow x^2 = 1 + p^nk[/itex] for k an integer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the fact that [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^n[/itex] implies that x is its own inverse and thus that [itex]x \equiv x\ mod\ p^n[/itex] and that [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^n[/itex] implies [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^{n-1}[/itex], attempting to find a way to combine the equations to force x to be either 1 or -1, but neither of these got me anywhere. The hint the teacher left makes me think the answer is something fairly simple (perhaps perfect squares cannot have the form [itex]x^2 = p^nk + 1[/itex] for [itex]p > 2[/itex]), but I just can't seem to see it. I have a feeling that just the tiniest push in the right direction would lead me to the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]x^2=1[/itex] (mod [itex]p^n[/itex]), then [itex]p^n[/itex] divides [itex]x^2-1[/itex].

Rewrite [itex]x^2-1[/itex].

So, [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ mod\ p^n[/itex] implies [itex]p^n|x^2 - 1[/itex].
Factoring [itex]x^2 - 1[/itex], we have that [itex]p^n|(x+1)(x-1)[/itex].
Since [itex](x + 1) - (x - 1) = 2[/itex], [itex]p^n|(x+1)[/itex] and [itex]p^n|(x-1)[/itex] only if [itex]p|2[/itex], which would imply that p=2. However, since we are dealing with odd primes, Euclid's Lemma requires that either [itex]p^n|(x+1)[/itex] or [itex]p^n|(x-1)[/itex]. For [itex]x\ mod\ p^n[/itex], the only solution to the first relation is [itex]x\ =\ p^n - 1 \equiv -1\ (mod p^n)[/itex], and the only solution to the second relation is [itex]x\ =\ 1 \equiv 1\ (mod p^n)[/itex]. Thus, [itex]x \equiv \pm 1\ (mod\ p^n)[/itex] are the only solutions to [itex]x^2 \equiv 1\ (mod\ p^n)[/itex] for p < 2.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Seems ok! Congratulations! :smile:

1. What is the significance of -1 and +1 being the only solutions to x^2 = 1 (mod p^2) for odd prime p?

The significance of this is that it highlights the unique properties of odd prime numbers. It shows that for any odd prime number, the only solutions to the equation x^2 = 1 (mod p^2) are -1 and +1. This reinforces the concept that odd prime numbers have special characteristics that distinguish them from other numbers.

2. Can this property be extended to any other type of number?

No, this property only applies to odd prime numbers. For other types of numbers, there may be different solutions to the equation x^2 = 1 (mod p^2).

3. How is this property related to modular arithmetic?

This property is a result of modular arithmetic. Modular arithmetic deals with the remainder when one number is divided by another. In this case, the equation x^2 = 1 (mod p^2) is a modular equation that is solved using the properties of modular arithmetic.

4. Are there any exceptions to this property?

Yes, there are exceptions to this property. For example, when p = 2, the solutions to x^2 = 1 (mod p^2) are not only -1 and +1, but also 0 and 2. However, this property holds true for all odd prime numbers.

5. How is this property useful in mathematics or real-world applications?

This property has various applications in number theory and cryptography. It is also useful in solving problems related to quadratic residues and quadratic reciprocity. In real-world applications, this property can be used in coding theory and error-correcting codes.