Help with Power Curves for Steady Level Flight

In summary, the task at hand is to create Power curves for a propeller-driven Ryan Navion A aircraft at intervals of 1000m. The question is whether the Power AVAILABLE curve will simply be a flat line at P(av)=ηP or if there are other factors to consider. In response, it is noted that the power available for an aircraft is influenced by multiple factors, including air density, airspeed, and altitude. Therefore, to accurately plot the power curves, all of these factors must be taken into account at different velocities and altitudes.
Massiveattack
Hello all, first time poster here so please go easy :)

I have to create a set of Power curves (Power Required and Power Available vs. Velocity) for a propeller-driven Ryan Navion A aircraft at intervals of 1000m.

My question to you is this, due to the fact that the aircraft is in steady level flight will the Power AVAILABLE curve simply be a flat line at:

P(av)=ηP
where η=propeller efficiency (0.8)
and P=engine power variation with altitude

... or is it more complicated than this? When I think about it i'd assume that the power available would vary slightly with velocity but I am just not so sure. Any corrections/help/advice would be appreciated!

Happy New Year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks guys, really helpful

Hi there! Welcome to the forum. It's great to have new members joining us. Don't worry, we'll definitely go easy on you :)

To answer your question, it's actually a bit more complicated than just a flat line at P(av)=ηP. The power available for an aircraft is influenced by multiple factors, including air density, airspeed, and altitude. So while the propeller efficiency (η) and engine power (P) do play a role, they are not the only factors.

As you mentioned, airspeed does have an impact on the power available. This is because as an aircraft speeds up, the air density decreases, which in turn affects the amount of air that can be taken in by the engine for combustion. This then affects the overall power available.

So to create an accurate set of power curves, you will need to take into account all of these factors and plot them at different velocities and altitudes. This will give you a more comprehensive understanding of the power available for your specific aircraft.

I hope this helps! Happy New Year to you too and good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes!

1. What is a power curve for steady level flight?

A power curve for steady level flight is a graph that shows the relationship between an aircraft's power setting and its airspeed. It is used to determine the most efficient power setting for a given aircraft in level flight.

2. How is a power curve for steady level flight calculated?

A power curve for steady level flight is calculated by plotting an aircraft's power setting against its corresponding airspeed. This is typically done by conducting flight tests and recording the data.

3. What factors affect the shape of a power curve for steady level flight?

The shape of a power curve for steady level flight can be affected by several factors, including the weight and aerodynamic characteristics of the aircraft, as well as the altitude and atmospheric conditions.

4. How is a power curve for steady level flight used in aircraft design?

A power curve for steady level flight is an important tool in aircraft design, as it helps determine the most efficient power setting for a given aircraft. This information is used to optimize the aircraft's performance and fuel efficiency.

5. Can a power curve for steady level flight be used for all types of aircraft?

While a power curve for steady level flight is a useful tool for many aircraft, it may not be applicable to all types of aircraft. Factors such as engine type, wing design, and flight characteristics can affect the shape of the curve and its usefulness in different aircraft.