Why are the colours of nebulae different?

• Thread starter Mekon
  • Start date
In summary, the Orion Nebula appears as a gray cloud when viewed through a telescope due to the human eye's inability to detect color in low light levels. However, when photographed with a time exposure, purple and green clouds can be seen due to the use of narrowband filters. Even if one were to view the nebula closer in a spaceship, it would not look exactly like the colorful Hubble images due to the amount of light emitted and the use of false color images.
Mekon
When I view the Orion Nebula through my telescope it appears a grey (US 'gray') cloud. When I take a time exposure photograph I can see purple and and green clouds.
1. Why is it different?
2. If i were in a spaceship and much closer, would I see the colours one sees in the beautiful Hubble images?

TIA
Mekon

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Two answers: chemical composition of the gas clouds and emission frequency of illumination sources. Photography reveals light frequencies inaccessible to the human eye.

Almost all nebulae are gray in the eyepiece due to the human eye being unable to detect color in such low light levels. Even going close would not look quite like the Hubble images. They simply don't put out that much light.

Also, many of the images seen where there are very bright distinct colors are false color images. These are taken through narrowband filters designed to isolate a very small wavelength range and are then assigned a specific color in the final image. For example, the Hubble typically uses Red for Sulfur emissions, Green for Hydrogen, and Blue for Oxygen. However both Sulfur and Hydrogen emit their light in the Red area of the spectrum, while Oxygen emits it's light in between green and blue.

Thanks for both replies. :)

The colors of nebulae, such as the Orion Nebula, are a result of the different elements and compounds present in the gas and dust that make up the nebula. These elements emit light at specific wavelengths, which we perceive as different colors. For example, oxygen emits light in the green and blue wavelengths, while sulfur emits light in the red and orange wavelengths.

1. The colors of nebulae appear differently depending on the method of observation. When viewing through a telescope, the human eye is limited in its ability to detect color and may only see a grey cloud. However, when using a time exposure photograph, the camera is able to capture more light and reveal the different colors present in the nebula.

2. If you were in a spaceship and closer to the nebula, you would likely see more vivid colors similar to those seen in Hubble images. This is because the closer you are to the nebula, the more light and detail you are able to capture. Additionally, the Hubble Space Telescope uses special filters and techniques to enhance the colors and details of the nebulae, making them appear even more vibrant and beautiful.

1. Why do nebulae have different colors?

Nebulae have different colors because they are composed of different types of gas and dust. These elements absorb and reflect light at different wavelengths, resulting in different colors.

2. What causes the different colors in nebulae?

The different colors in nebulae are caused by the ionization of gas molecules. As these molecules are excited by radiation from nearby stars, they emit light at specific wavelengths, resulting in different colors.

3. Why are some nebulae blue and others red?

The color of a nebula depends on the type of gas present. Blue nebulae, like the Orion Nebula, contain a lot of ionized oxygen, while red nebulae, like the Lagoon Nebula, contain a lot of hydrogen gas.

4. Can the color of a nebula change?

Yes, the color of a nebula can change over time. This is because the gas and dust within the nebula may be affected by different factors, such as the radiation from nearby stars or the shockwaves from supernova explosions.

5. Why do some nebulae appear to have multiple colors?

Some nebulae may appear to have multiple colors due to a combination of different gases and dust, as well as varying levels of ionization within the nebula. This can create a range of colors that blend together, giving the appearance of multiple colors.