How to Solve the Equation X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)?

• Thread starter brute26
  • Start date
In summary, "mod" stands for "modulo" and is used in mathematics to indicate the remainder after dividing one number by another. The "mod 5^3" included in the equation "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)" indicates that the equation is being solved in the ring of integers modulo 5^3, with solutions of 2 and 123. This equation is an example of a congruence relation and cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods. Instead, it requires specialized techniques in modular arithmetic.
brute26
How would i start to solve this problem?

x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5^3).

Find all solutions.

How do i know how many solutions there are? If i reduce it to
x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5), i get that x= 2,3,7,8,12, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, so now i know that it has 2 solutions, because x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5) has only two solutions, namely x= 4, x= -4.

however f '(4) and f '(-4) are not congruent to 0 (mod 5). So these roots are nonsingular?

1. What does "mod" mean in "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)"?

The term "mod" stands for "modulo" and is used in mathematics to indicate the remainder after dividing one number by another.

2. Why is "mod 5^3" included in the equation "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)"?

The "mod 5^3" indicates that the equation is being solved in the ring of integers modulo 5^3, which means that all calculations are done using only the numbers 0 to 5^3-1.

3. What is the solution to "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)"?

There are multiple solutions to this equation, as it is a quadratic equation. In the ring of integers modulo 5^3, the solutions are 2 and 123.

4. How is "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)" related to modular arithmetic?

This equation is an example of a congruence relation, which is a fundamental concept in modular arithmetic. It states that X^2 + 1 is congruent to 0 (or equivalent to 0) when considered in the ring of integers modulo 5^3.

5. Can the equation "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)" be solved using traditional algebraic methods?

No, this equation cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods because it involves modular arithmetic, which has its own set of rules and properties. However, the equation can be solved using specialized techniques in modular arithmetic.