Need help designing multiple voltage and current output from single input

In summary, the individual is designing a voice activated control system for their truck and needs to build a power supply/converter to provide various outputs such as 5V and 12V DC and 12V AC with different current ratings. They plan to use a car battery as an input/reference power and are looking for guidance on circuit diagrams and parts. They may need to replicate this for up to 20 outputs, each requiring its own circuit design. They also mention using a 555 as a buffer and recommend checking out discovercircuits dot com for help with schematics and precautions.
kevinp
Hello,

I am in the process of designing a voice activate control system for my truck for various things like wiper motors/windows/etc.

The development board I am using will have up to 20 outputs @ either 5 or 12V DC around 10mA. However, this is not strong enough to drive a wiper motor or a couple of the various controls I need.

I was looking into building my own powersupply/converter that I can take some of these inputs with, and be able to have several outputs such as 5V 12V DC & 12V AC and a couple different current ratings depending what each output requires. I could use the car battery as an input/reference power.

Could you guide me in the right direction to finding base circuit diagrams/parts that I would need to go off of.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry I didn't make the title clear and could sound confusing.

I need to convert a single 5V 10mA source to one of the mentioned outputs above. I will need to replicate this for each of my outputs (up to 20) and several of them may require a different output (25mA, or 200mA.., either 12V AC or 5V DC..etc) but this output can only be provided once the individual input source of 5V DC @ 10mA is set high.

Each output will require its own circuit/design so this doesn't have to be designed as one usit, I don't mind building a small box for each one.

Hope that clears things up

bump, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

its not clear what you'll need AC for.

But 10 miliamps at 12 volts could drive a small relay or a buffer that'd drive a bigger relay.

I use 555 as a buffer, its basic version (not 555C) has stout output that should handle an automotive relay.
Those automotive relays you can get cheap at any junkyard go pull them out of an old car's under the hood electrical box...
tie TRIG and THRESH together and use for input, output on non-cmos version is good for 100 ma.

discovercircuits dot com has a friendly hobbyist forum, you'll find folks to help with making schematics and circuit boards and precautions like "flywheel diode" and "bypass capacitor".

1. How can I create multiple voltage and current outputs from a single input?

There are several ways to achieve this, including using voltage regulators and current mirrors. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of your specific application and choose the best approach accordingly.

2. What is the benefit of having multiple voltage and current outputs?

Having multiple outputs allows for greater flexibility and control in electronic systems. This can be particularly useful in applications that require different voltage and current levels for different components or stages.

3. Are there any challenges or limitations in designing multiple voltage and current outputs from a single input?

Yes, there can be challenges in terms of circuit complexity, power dissipation, and efficiency. It is important to carefully analyze and optimize the design to ensure it meets the required specifications and operates reliably.

4. Can I use the same input source for all the outputs?

In most cases, yes. However, it is important to consider the power requirements and limitations of the input source. It may be necessary to use separate input sources for different outputs, or to use a higher voltage input source and regulate it down for lower voltage outputs.

5. Are there any specific design considerations for creating multiple voltage and current outputs?

Yes, there are several factors to consider, such as the output voltage and current requirements, load regulation, stability, and thermal management. It is important to carefully analyze these factors and choose appropriate components and circuit designs to achieve the desired outputs.