Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix

In summary, the problem is to find a 2 by 2 matrix that, when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix. This matrix cannot be equal to the identity matrix unless it is cubed. The solution involves using a linear transformation where the plane is rotated three times by 120 degrees. This rotation would take the point (1,0) to (cosθ,sinθ), providing the first row of the matrix. By using geometry, one can determine that the second row of the matrix is (sinθ,-cosθ).
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix. This matrix cannot be equal to the identity matrix unless it is cubed.

So for example:
B3 = [1 0;0 1]
but
B≠[1 0;0 1]

The Attempt at a Solution

The professor told us that we have to use a linear transformation where you rotate it three times by 120o. The problem I have is that I cannot visualize how such rotations can solve the problem. Also I don't even know what to rotate. If anyone knows what to do it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you rotate a vector x by 120 degrees about the origin three times?

You get back to the original vector. But i still can't relate this to cubing a matrix.

Think "rotation matrix."

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix. This matrix cannot be equal to the identity matrix unless it is cubed.

So for example:
B3 = [1 0;0 1]
but
B≠[1 0;0 1]

The Attempt at a Solution

The professor told us that we have to use a linear transformation where you rotate it three times by 120o. The problem I have is that I cannot visualize how such rotations can solve the problem. Also I don't even know what to rotate. If anyone knows what to do it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

what you would be rotating is the entire plane, or R2. such a rotation would take the point (x,y) = (1,0) to the point (x',y') = (cosθ,sinθ). that "almost" gives you the matrix right there. use geometry to see if you can figure out where (0,1) might rotate to.

What is a 2 by 2 matrix?

A 2 by 2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in 2 rows and 2 columns. It is often used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of equations.

What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a special type of matrix that, when multiplied by another matrix, results in the original matrix. It is represented by a diagonal of 1s and all other elements are 0s.

How do you cube a matrix?

To cube a matrix, you need to multiply the matrix by itself 3 times. This can be done by multiplying the matrix by itself twice or using the matrix multiplication rule for 3 matrices.

Why is it important to find a matrix that, when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix?

This is important because it can help us understand the properties of the original matrix and its relationship to the identity matrix. It can also be useful in solving equations involving matrix multiplication.

What is the simplest 2 by 2 matrix that, when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix?

The simplest 2 by 2 matrix that, when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix is the diagonal matrix with elements 1 and -1 on the main diagonal and 0s on the off-diagonal elements.