Motion equations of a disc rotating freely around its center (3d)

In summary, the system described consists of a pinned disc with weights that can be added for tilting, with no friction and only gravitational force in the opposite direction of the z-axis. By putting weights on the disc, it starts oscillating like a pendulum. The expressions for the rotational speed and rotation vector are given, along with initial values, and there is a way to divide the equations into linear equations. The z-component of momentum is always 0 and ultimately, assistance was needed to solve the problem.
bluekuma
The system is made of a disc the center of which is pinned to the origin (so the disc cannot translate), and some weights that can be stuck on the disc to make it tilt (weights do not translate on the disc) (see images attached).
There is no friction whatsoever. The only force is gravitational force, with direction opposite to the z-axis'.

Let's start with the disc at rest with its axis parallel to axis z. Now, if you put a weight on it, the disc starts oscillating just as if it was a pendulum. Then, at time t=t0, you put another weight on it.

If [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex] is the rotational speed vector and [itex]\vec{θ}[/itex] is the rotation vector of the disc (meaning the direction of the disc's axis is always the z-versor rotated by θ radians around [itex]\vec{θ}[/itex] ) what's the expression of [itex]\vec{f}[/itex](t,ω,θ) in:

d[itex]\vec{ω}[/itex]/dt = f(t,ω,θ),
d[itex]\vec{θ}[/itex]/dt = [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex]

Given the initial values [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex](t0) =[itex]\vec{ω}[/itex]0≠0 and [itex]\vec{θ}[/itex](t0=[itex]\vec{θ}[/itex]0≠0, d[itex]\vec{ω}[/itex](t0)/dt≠0,
that would give me a way to simulate the system's motion through a standard Runge-Kutta integration method.

MIGHT HELP TO KNOW:
- I'm pretty sure there is a way to divide the two vectorial equations in six (three systems of two) linear equations
- z-component of momentum [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] (where d[itex]\vec{ω}[/itex]/dt = [itex]\vec{M}[/itex]/I ) is always 0 (zero) as M is the result of a cross product between a vector r (x, y, x) and the gravitational force (0, 0, -mg), therefore z-component of [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{θ}[/itex] are also 0.

If my teacher is reading this: no, ultimately I could not do it alone, sorry. (This is not homework but I bet he'd get pissed if he knew I asked for help).

Attachments

• disc at rest.jpg
    disc at rest.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 411
  • dic in motion.jpg
    dic in motion.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
ok maaaaybe I should have posted this in the homework section, if no admin moves the thread by tomorrow I'll just repost there :D
i'm deeply sorry for the trouble.

1. What is the equation for angular velocity of a disc rotating freely around its center?

The equation for angular velocity of a disc rotating freely around its center is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, v is the linear velocity in meters per second, and r is the radius of the disc in meters.

2. What is the equation for tangential acceleration of a disc rotating freely around its center?

The equation for tangential acceleration of a disc rotating freely around its center is a = αr, where a is the tangential acceleration in meters per second squared, α is the angular acceleration in radians per second squared, and r is the radius of the disc in meters.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of a disc rotating freely around its center?

The moment of inertia, represented by the symbol I, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more force is required to change the object's rotational speed. In the case of a disc rotating freely around its center, a larger moment of inertia would result in a slower angular acceleration and a longer period of time to reach a given angular velocity.

4. How can the equations for rotational motion of a disc be applied to real-world situations?

The equations for rotational motion of a disc can be applied to various scenarios, such as the motion of a spinning top, a rotating wheel, or a satellite in orbit. They can also be used to calculate the behavior of objects in sports, such as a discus or a frisbee, or in engineering applications, such as the rotation of gears or machinery.

5. Can the motion equations for a disc rotating freely around its center be used for non-uniform discs?

Yes, the motion equations for a disc rotating freely around its center can be applied to non-uniform discs as well. In this case, the moment of inertia would vary at different points on the disc and would need to be taken into account when calculating the angular velocity and acceleration. This can be done by using the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia for each point on the disc.