Paid Internships for High School Students

In summary, it is very difficult for high school students to find well-paying internships or research opportunities. Most programs are geared towards college students and the liability and paperwork issues for having a minor in a lab can be serious. However, there are some options available such as MIT's summer internship program, internships at NASA and the NIH, and engineering firms that may offer paid internships. These opportunities may require strong contacts or skills in certain areas such as programming.
clarinets
I am currently a junior in high school and am wondering if there are any good paying internships or research opportunities for high school students. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Very few. Very, very few. College students are all ahead of you in line, and the liability and paperwork issues for having someone under 18 in a lab are extremely serious.

I had a paid internship offered to me when I was a senior in HS. Unfortunately, my parents had only one car, and I couldn't make the time to walk 25 miles each way to the paper mill. Many years later, my youngest nephew got an internship at that same mill, and by the time he was in the process of graduating in ChemE, he had more job-offers than he could handle.

MIT has a summer internship program for high school students to get involved in research in Boston.

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/juniors_mit_and_other_summer_p

NASA also offers internships for high school students.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/descriptions/Students-rd.html

So does the NIH.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/funding/training/redbook/hsnihbio.htm

It's probably too late to apply to any of them now, but maybe you can start thinking about next summer. Other than that, your chances aren't good unless you've got a strong contact at a college already. And if you did manage to get an offer over an undergrad somehow (professors are far more likely to take an undergrad, since they're paid to teach them and not you, and they have stronger math and science skills) they almost certainly wouldn't be paying you. It would be a volunteer position, and one you'd be extremely lucky to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that he said paid. Lots of places have summer programs for HS students. Very, very few of them are paid.

There were a couple of kids in my physics class last semester that did paid internships of their summer before college. I don't remember the companies but they were engineering firms. Both of them said that their programming experience played a big role, especially MATLAB.

What are paid internships for high school students?

Paid internships for high school students are opportunities for students to gain real-world work experience while also receiving compensation for their time. These internships can be part-time or full-time and typically last for a set period of time, such as a summer or a semester.

Why are paid internships important for high school students?

Paid internships provide high school students with valuable experience in a professional setting, helping them develop important skills such as time management, communication, and teamwork. They also allow students to explore potential career interests and gain a better understanding of the working world.

How can high school students find paid internships?

High school students can find paid internships through various sources, such as their school's career center, online job search engines, and networking with family and friends. Some companies also offer internship programs specifically for high school students.

What are the benefits of paid internships compared to unpaid internships?

Paid internships provide students with financial compensation for their time and work, which can be helpful for those who need to support themselves or contribute to their family's finances. Additionally, paid internships are often more competitive and offer a higher level of responsibility and training compared to unpaid internships.

What should high school students consider before accepting a paid internship?

High school students should consider the time commitment, location, and job responsibilities of a paid internship before accepting it. They should also research the company and make sure it aligns with their career interests and goals. Additionally, students should ensure the internship will not interfere with their academic responsibilities.