Plot Graphs & Tables from Excel Free with XY Graph Software

In summary, Excel can plot graphs, also known as charts, and does XY graphs well. The chart wizard feature can be used to create an XY scatter plot. In Excel 2008 for Mac OS, vertical gridlines can be turned on by clicking the "Toolbox" icon. The version used does not affect basic functions. To properly display the graph, data from both the vp and vg lines must be selected. Excel also has the option to define the x-axis for each series.
yungman
Can Excel plot graph? If not, is there any free software to plot tables of numbers from Excel to XY graph.( just common graph)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes it can. What version of Excel are you using?

Excel does do XY graph quite well. Have you looked at the chart wizard feature?

Here is a video for Excel 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzJ2vuRWshQ

In Excel terminology, a graph is a "chart." For an XY graph from data points, choose the chart type "XY (Scatter)".

In the version that I use, Excel 2008 for Mac OS, by default the graph doesn't include vertical gridlines, but you can turn them on by clicking on the graph and then clicking the "Toolbox" icon in the toolbar, which contains various formatting options.

Last edited:
Antiphon said:
Yes it can. What version of Excel are you using?

I only have the Office Suit 2003! Old.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I finally have the program and data that I want to plot the chart. Attached is the excel program. The chart I want to plot is Fig.2 and as you can see, I already plot out the graph. The thing that I don't know how to do is scaling the x-axis ( horizontal). I need to plot the graph according to the voltage Vp in figure 2 that is high lighted in teal on top of of Fig. 2. The range is from 0 to 700V. I did search on the web and seems like only the Office 2010 can do that, not the 2003.

Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Chart.xls
    61 KB · Views: 478
Every version of excel works pretty much the same for basic functions.

The problem you are having is that you selected a "line chart". Change the chart type to "x-y scatter" and you'll be able to scale it by right clicking the axis and clicking "axis properties".

Looks like you'll also need to define the x-axis for each series, though.

russ_watters said:
Every version of excel works pretty much the same for basic functions.

The problem you are having is that you selected a "line chart". Change the chart type to "x-y scatter" and you'll be able to scale it by right clicking the axis and clicking "axis properties".

Looks like you'll also need to define the x-axis for each series, though.

Thanks for the reply. I tried, the x-axis is labelled 0 to 12. If I change to 0 to 800, the chart shrink horizontally. The excel assigned 1 to 12 for me, but I need to assign the points according to the number on top of Fig.2 in teal color.

I need to label x-axis from 0 to 800 and plot the points at x= 43.75, 65.625, 87.5, 175 etc. This is the row that is teal color in Fig.2.

Thanks

Alan

Is there any way to do it? Attached is the updated exel file that I change to xy chart already.

Attachments

• Chart.xls
    68.5 KB · Views: 247
Reason you had incorrect "labels" is due to only selecting the data.

basically just required you to select the vp and vg lines as well (only the numbers not the text) for it to display correctly.

I created this using Excel 2010, saved it as backwards compatible for you unsure if it is the correct graph you are after but you can use the current selection to create a new graph.

Hope this helped.

Attachments

• Chart2.0.xls
    77 KB · Views: 275
yungman said:
Thanks for the reply. I tried, the x-axis is labelled 0 to 12. If I change to 0 to 800, the chart shrink horizontally. The excel assigned 1 to 12 for me, but I need to assign the points according to the number on top of Fig.2 in teal color.

I need to label x-axis from 0 to 800 and plot the points at x= 43.75, 65.625, 87.5, 175 etc. This is the row that is teal color in Fig.2.

Thanks

Alan

Is there any way to do it? Attached is the updated exel file that I change to xy chart already.
You skipped step 1: change the chart type to x-y scatter.

1. What is the purpose of using XY graph software?

The purpose of using XY graph software is to visualize and analyze data in a graphical format. This allows for easier interpretation and identification of patterns or trends within the data.

2. Is XY graph software user-friendly?

Yes, most XY graph software programs are designed to be user-friendly and require little to no coding knowledge. They often have a user-friendly interface and provide step-by-step instructions for creating graphs and tables.

3. Can I import data from Excel into XY graph software?

Yes, most XY graph software programs allow for data to be imported from Excel. This can be done by copying and pasting the data or through a data import function.

4. How do I choose the appropriate graph type for my data?

The appropriate graph type depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your analysis. Some common types of graphs include line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. It is important to consider the variables and relationships in your data when choosing a graph type.

5. Can I customize the appearance of my graphs and tables?

Yes, most XY graph software programs allow for customization of the appearance of graphs and tables. This includes changing the colors, labels, and fonts to make the visualizations more visually appealing and informative.