Center of Gravity in a Horizontal Cylinder with Water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of gravity of a horizontal cylinder with water in it. The person is trying to determine a relation between the diameter occupied by the water and the masses. They have already solved the problem for a standing cylinder, but are unsure how to approach it for a horizontal cylinder. Suggestions are made to set up the problem from scratch and find the center of area under a chord of a circle.
chinocr3

Homework Statement

I need to find the center of gravity of a horizontal cylinder that has water in it, the level of water changes so I need to determine a relation between the diameter occupied by the water and the masses, those are my guesses.

I solved the problem where i have the standing cylinder where the C of G depends of the height of the water.

I added an attachment where you can see the formulas i used.

Homework Equations

How can I make a similar relation with the horizontal cylinder?

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe using D as the variable instead of h?

m0 = ( (D2∏h)/4 )* ρ

where D2 = variable

and ∏h/4 = constant?

sorry if the answer is obvious, I'm really bad at physics $:

Attachments

• Yg Standing Cylinder.jpg
    Yg Standing Cylinder.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 857
Physics news on Phys.org
If the cylinder is on its side, try setting up the problem from scratch. I don't think trying to manipulate calculations for a vertical cylinder will be very easy.

I need to find the center of gravity of a horizontal cylinder that has water in it

The horizontal position is obvious so that leaves the vertical position...

You just need to find the center of area of the area under a chord of a circle.

1. What is the center of gravity in a horizontal cylinder with water?

The center of gravity in a horizontal cylinder with water is the point at which the entire weight of the cylinder and its contents can be considered to act. It is the average point of the distribution of weight in the cylinder.

2. How is the center of gravity determined in a horizontal cylinder with water?

The center of gravity is determined by finding the geometric center of the cylinder and then taking into account the weight distribution of the water inside the cylinder. This can be calculated using mathematical equations or by physically balancing the cylinder on a pivot point.

3. Why is the center of gravity important in a horizontal cylinder with water?

The center of gravity is important because it affects the stability and balance of the cylinder. If the center of gravity is not located in the center of the cylinder, it can cause the cylinder to tip over or become unstable.

4. How does the amount of water in the cylinder affect the center of gravity?

The amount of water in the cylinder affects the center of gravity by changing the weight distribution. The more water there is, the lower the center of gravity will be. This means that the cylinder will be more stable with a larger amount of water compared to a smaller amount.

5. Can the center of gravity change in a horizontal cylinder with water?

Yes, the center of gravity can change if the amount of water in the cylinder changes or if the cylinder is tilted or moved. It is important to consider the center of gravity when designing structures or objects that contain water, in order to ensure stability and prevent accidents.