Help with numerical integration

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with an integration problem and finding an identity in a table. They are trying to write a code to calculate the integral accurately and someone suggests using the trapezium method. Another person suggests defining pi using the integral and presents a substitution method for solving the integral. The conversation ends with the person understanding the difference between the two integrals and thanking the other for their help.
Dominguez Scaramanga
Hello there, I've not been here in a while, but I'm stuck doing this integration and wondered if some of you kind people would help :smile:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1} {(1+x)\sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]

(appologies for the lack of spacing in there...)

anyways, I know that when x tends to infinity, the integral can be approximated to,

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1} {(x)\sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]

but I can't seem to find this identity in any of my tables anywhere...

The reason I need it is because I'm in the processes of writing some c code to analytically calculate this with a specified degree of acuracy, (am going to use the trapezium method of integration I think) so it would be nice to know if the answers I get out of it are any good or not!

thanks for you time :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
use rules of exponents.

1/(x(sqrtx)) = x^(-3/2)

awesome, thanks DeadWolfe :)

That integral (the first) can be very simply computed analytically to yield the result [itex] \pi [/itex]...Heck,u can even define [itex] \pi [/itex] by it

[tex] \pi=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

HINT:Make the obvious substitution
[tex] \sqrt{x}=t [/tex]

Daniel.

wow, even more helpful, thanks a lot :smile:

also, would I be correct in saying that the limit of the integrand as x-->infinity is pi, in that case?
or have I got completely mudled up? :confused:

Define

[tex] P(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{dt}{(1+t)\sqrt{t}} [/tex]

Show that

[tex] P(x)=2\arctan x [/tex]

Then it's easy to say

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} P(x)=\pi [/tex]

Not the integrand!The integrands's (inferior) limit to [itex] 0 [/itex] is [itex] +\infty [/itex],while its limit to [itex] +\infty [/itex] is [itex] 0 [/itex] (:wink:)

Daniel.

thanks very much for your help dextercioby, it'll be most useful!

now all I've got to do is figure out how to do this with C :wink:

also, where you have,

[tex] P(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{dt}{(1+t)\sqrt{t}} [/tex]

that'll yield the same result as for

[tex] F(x)=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

with the substitution

[tex] \sqrt{x}=t [/tex]

right?
:smile:

Last edited:
Nope.The second (the one with F(x)) is a number,while the first is a function...So in the second case,the notation is incorrect...

Daniel.

ah I see, ok, so the first one, with x = +infinity, will equal pi, the same as the bottom one would (had I wrote it correctly).

finally :tongue: thanks very much for your help :smile:

What is numerical integration and why is it important?

Numerical integration is a method of approximating the value of an integral using numerical techniques. It is important because many integrals cannot be solved analytically, and numerical integration provides a way to estimate their values.

What are the different numerical integration methods?

Some common numerical integration methods include the Trapezoidal Rule, Simpson's Rule, and Gaussian Quadrature. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best method to use depends on the specific integral being approximated.

How accurate are the results obtained from numerical integration?

The accuracy of numerical integration depends on various factors such as the method used, the number of intervals or data points, and the complexity of the function being integrated. In general, the more intervals or data points used, the more accurate the results will be.

Can numerical integration be used for multivariable integrals?

Yes, numerical integration can be extended to handle multivariable integrals. This is known as multidimensional numerical integration and involves techniques such as Monte Carlo integration and adaptive quadrature methods.

What are some applications of numerical integration in science?

Numerical integration is widely used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to solve problems involving motion, heat transfer, and optimization, among others.