Maximum compression of Spring Blocks System

In summary, two blocks with masses of 2kg and 5kg are moving to the right on a frictionless surface at speeds of 10m/s and 3m/s respectively. When they collide, the maximum compression of the spring attached to Block 2 is reached when both blocks have the same velocity. This can be solved using conservation of energy, and the impulse delivered to either block can be found using the integral of the spring constant multiplied by the compressed distance. However, the question of whether this can be solved without using energy remains unanswered. In a separate example, a 1-dimensional motion problem involving a point mass particle in a potential energy field is discussed. The issue of solving the resulting integral is raised, and a solution
better361
Block 1 has a mass of 2kg and is moving to the right on a frictionless surface at 10m/s. Block 2 is ahead of Block 1, has a mass of 5 kg, and is moving to the right at 3m/s. Block 2 also has a spring attached to its left end, which has a spring constant of 1120 N/m.

When the blocks collide, the compression of the spring is maximized at the instant both blocks have the same velocity. Find the maximum compression.

The system comprised of the two blocks have no external forces, so the velocity of the center of mass is constant. When the two blocks are moving with the same speed, their speeds from the center of mass's point of view is zero, so the speed at that instant of both blocks must equal the velocity of the center of mass. But,from here, i couldn't find a way to solve this without using conservation of energy. The furthest I got was that the impulse delivered to either block was equal to the integral of 1120 N/m *(x compressed) dt and I don't know how to integrate this.

My question is, is there a way to do it without energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi better361! welcome to pf! :smile:
better361 said:
My question is, is there a way to do it without energy?

not really

(why would you want to? :confused:)

Well, the problem was from the center of mass and momentum chapter, so I figured the solution must have something to do with their equations. Also I would like to have a better understanding of how to transfer a function of a particular variable to another.

Heres an example:
Consider a 1-dimensional motion of a point mass particle of mass m=1 kg which is moving in a potential with the potential energy V(x)=1/x2 J. Initially the particle has velocity 5 m/s and position x=1 m. Find the position x in m of the particle at t=5 s.
I can find F(x) by taking the negative of the derivative of V(x). But, the differential equation I get from this is M*dv/dt=-1/x^3. And once again, I have an integral that I cannot solve.

hi better361! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
better361 said:
M*dv/dt=-1/x^3. And once again, I have an integral that I cannot solve.

dv/dt = dv/dx*dx/dt (chain rule) = dv/dx*v

so M*v*dv/dx = -1/x3

so M*v*dv = -dx/x3 :wink:

Wow, never thought about that. Thanks

Actually, I still have issues with this problem. After I integrate the first time and found the constant, my equation is now v^2=1/x^2+24 (I substituted m=1kg) Then rooted each side and rewrote v as dx/dt. After integrating again, I got 1/24 sqrt(24+1/x^2)*x. Now I don't know if I need to include a constant again, because I already plugged in x and v the first time around. Also, either way my answer is wrong. :(

hi better361! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
better361 said:
Consider a 1-dimensional motion of a point mass particle of mass m=1 kg which is moving in a potential with the potential energy V(x)=1/x2 J. Initially the particle has velocity 5 m/s and position x=1 m. Find the position x in m of the particle at t=5 s.
better361 said:
Actually, I still have issues with this problem. After I integrate the first time and found the constant, my equation is now v^2=1/x^2+24 (I substituted m=1kg) Then rooted each side and rewrote v as dx/dt. After integrating again, I got 1/24 sqrt(24+1/x^2)*x. Now I don't know if I need to include a constant again, because I already plugged in x and v the first time around. Also, either way my answer is wrong. :(

(wouldn't it be a lot easier to write it xdx/√(24x2 + 1) = dt ? :wink:)

yes, the second time you integrate, there will be another constant (consistent with x = 1 aat t = 0) :smile:

What is a maximum compression of Spring Blocks System?

The maximum compression of Spring Blocks System refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to a set of spring blocks before they reach their limit and can no longer compress any further.

How is the maximum compression of Spring Blocks System calculated?

The maximum compression of Spring Blocks System is calculated by multiplying the spring constant (k) of each individual block by the distance it is compressed. This value is then summed for all the blocks in the system to determine the total maximum compression.

What factors affect the maximum compression of Spring Blocks System?

The maximum compression of Spring Blocks System is affected by the spring constant (k) of each individual block, the number of blocks in the system, and the distance each block can be compressed. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and the materials used in the blocks.

What happens if the maximum compression of Spring Blocks System is exceeded?

If the maximum compression of Spring Blocks System is exceeded, the blocks will experience permanent deformation and may not return to their original shape. This can also lead to damage or failure of the blocks and the entire system.

How is the maximum compression of Spring Blocks System used in real-life applications?

The maximum compression of Spring Blocks System is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as shock absorbers in cars, mattresses, and furniture. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the maximum load that a structure or material can withstand before it fails.