Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
I was there back around 1972 or 1973 - it's been so long. Back then the crowds weren't too bad.

They do have some cool stuff, I do admit.

Aww Zz, you're just a child at heart.
That's great! More power to Zz. :approve: Stay young at heart.

Some adults forget about the wonders and simple pleasures of childhood.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
I was there back around 1972 or 1973 - it's been so long. Back then the crowds weren't too bad.
That's about the first time I was there. I don't know exactly when, and have absolutely no recollection of that trip, but I just know from the pictures that my sister wasn't born yet and I was old enough to be walking. :rofl:

Some adults forget about the wonders and simple pleasures of childhood.

There you go, make sure Zz stays simple! :biggrin: :tongue:

Moonbear said:
There you go, make sure Zz stays simple! :biggrin: :tongue:

... and just to prove how "simple" I still am (as if that needs proving), here are two pictures of me on one of my most favorite rides at Magic Kindom - the DUMBO ride!

The first picture is from my vintage point waiting in line (with a whole lots of kids) to get onto the ride. Keep in mind that the double seats on this ride are made for two adults!

The second picture is when I'm on the Dumbo ride, having tons of fun!

[Evo, you can tell me to stop if this thread is getting old...]

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
... and just to prove how "simple" I still am (as if that needs proving), here are two pictures of me on one of my most favorite rides at Magic Kindom - the DUMBO ride!

The first picture is from my vintage point waiting in line (with a whole lots of kids) to get onto the ride. Keep in mind that the double seats on this ride are made for two adults!

[Evo, you can tell me to stop if this thread is getting old...]

Zz.
The Dumbo ride looks like it's about my speed. :tongue2: I'm enjoying this. :tongue: No pictures of you, huh? (Ok, now we'll get pictures of Zz (a disembodied hand pointing to an attraction, sneakered feet standing in line, his back (at a distance of 50'). :wink:

The picture you posted yesterday was very nice. :approve:

Evo said:
The Dumbo ride looks like it's about my speed. :tongue2: I'm enjoying this. :tongue: No pictures of you, huh? (Ok, now we'll get pictures of Zz (a disembodied hand pointing to an attraction, sneakered feet standing in line, his back (at a distance of 50'). :wink:

I may try to "disembody" myself in the pictures, but it will have to be after I get back from the PAC05 conference this week (I'm at O'Hare right now). I can't show you my face because I'm very ugly and everyone that views my picture will turn into a pillar of salt.

As much as I'm looking forward to this conference, I am just giddy and way too excited for my Disney World trip coming up in 2 weeks! (Can't you just tell how skewed my priorities are?)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

See, now I REALLY have to go with you to Disney! I haven't been on the Dumbo ride since I was a kid. Can't get anyone to go with me, and I don't like standing on lines alone. :frown:

When I was at Universal, they had a really fun looking ride based on Jurassic Park that I wanted to go on, but you had to have one child and one adult, and they wouldn't let any adults on without children and vice versa. :frown: I probably looked like a pedophile standing around the entrance to the ride for a while watching for any spare kids who wanted to go on the ride (you know, hoping for a family to walk up with three children and only two parents). It's just not fair! I wanted to go on the ride, but didn't have any kids with me! :cry:

ZapperZ said:
As much as I'm looking forward to this conference, I am just giddy and way too excited for my Disney World trip coming up in 2 weeks! (Can't you just tell how skewed my priorities are?)

Nope, your priorities sound just about right. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
See, now I REALLY have to go with you to Disney! I haven't been on the Dumbo ride since I was a kid. Can't get anyone to go with me, and I don't like standing on lines alone. :frown:

Moonbie, I will DEFINITELY go on the Dumbo ride with you. Hell, I've gone on it all by myself. I bet will be a lot of fun riding it with you. I usually have my spinning pinwheel with me when I get on it and it is fun to just watch it spin around in the wind while riding it. [See? I told you I'm just like a kid here]

When I was at Universal, they had a really fun looking ride based on Jurassic Park that I wanted to go on, but you had to have one child and one adult, and they wouldn't let any adults on without children and vice versa. :frown: I probably looked like a pedophile standing around the entrance to the ride for a while watching for any spare kids who wanted to go on the ride (you know, hoping for a family to walk up with three children and only two parents). It's just not fair! I wanted to go on the ride, but didn't have any kids with me! :cry:

I know exactly which ride you're referring to. It's that flying teradactyle <sp> that you ride around as if you're flying through the forrest, no? I wanted to go on that too and could not for the same reason as yours! You'll never find that kind of a ride at Disney, I tell ya.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I may try to "disembody" myself in the pictures, but it will have to be after I get back from the PAC05 conference this week (I'm at O'Hare right now). I can't show you my face because I'm very ugly and everyone that views my picture will turn into a pillar of salt.
I somehow doubt that. :rolleyes: They wouldn't let you into Disney World. :tongue:

Zz.
Will you be checking in from the conference?

ZapperZ said:
Moonbie, I will DEFINITELY go on the Dumbo ride with you. Zz.
Fine, I'll just go on the ride all by myself, I don't need you or Moonbear to take me. :cry:

ZapperZ said:
So what's with the nipples all around the attachment collars?

Moonbear said:
I wanted to go on the ride, but didn't have any kids with me! :cry:
Hmmmm...new patent coming up: inflatable kids...

Evo said:
Fine, I'll just go on the ride all by myself, I don't need you or Moonbear to take me. :cry:
That's pretty high off the ground for someone as acrophobic as I am, but I'll go with you if you promise to hold me really tight.

ZapperZ said:
I know exactly which ride you're referring to. It's that flying teradactyle <sp> that you ride around as if you're flying through the forrest, no? I wanted to go on that too and could not for the same reason as yours! You'll never find that kind of a ride at Disney, I tell ya.

Yep, I think that was it. Something with wings on it anyway. For once in my life, I wanted to be shorter than the "you must be this high" stick! :grumpy:

Danger said:
That's pretty high off the ground for someone as acrophobic as I am, but I'll go with you if you promise to hold me really tight.
Aw, thanks Danger <sniff>. :shy:

Evo said:
Aw, thanks Danger <sniff>. :shy:
Anything for you. (Although I suspect that I would be reaping the major advantage of that arrangement.)

Evo said:

Evo, I'll go on it with you next, how's that? And we'll ride the magic carpet out by Fantasy Land. And I'll even buy you a turkey leg!

And yes, I'll be checking in now and then from the conference.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Evo, I'll go on it with you next, how's that? And we'll ride the magic carpet out by Fantasy Land. And I'll even buy you a turkey leg!
:!) :approve: :!)

And yes, I'll be checking in now and then from the conference.

Zz.
Good! :smile:

I'm here, in the middle of the Knoxville Convention Center, at a very serious Particle Accelerator Conference, with distinguished physicists from all over the world. And I'm walking around wearing a Mickey Mouse/Walt Disney World t-shirt!

I bumped into my boss on the way in. He looked at me and shook his head, and continued walking (and yes, he is well aware of my Disney "disease"). Luckily, I have no meetings to attend today, only several scientific program sessions that I wish to listen to.

There must be a 12-step program for people like me...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm here, in the middle of the Knoxville Convention Center, at a very serious Particle Accelerator Conference, with distinguished physicists from all over the world. And I'm walking around wearing a Mickey Mouse/Walt Disney World t-shirt!
What!? No MM ears to match!?

ZapperZ said:
Why would you even contemplate that?

You should get on the conference steering committee and get a PA conference in Orlando. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:
Heheh, they're probably all envious. :tongue:

I bumped into my boss on the way in. He looked at me and shook his head, and continued walking (and yes, he is well aware of my Disney "disease"). Luckily, I have no meetings to attend today, only several scientific program sessions that I wish to listen to.

Zz.
It's a "good" addiction. :approve:

Are you having a good time?

Astronuc said:
You should get on the conference steering committee and get a PA conference in Orlando. :biggrin:

See, there you go! Us neuroscientists have brains (bad pun intended)...we have our conferences at rotating locations, and one of them is now Orlando (I think that's replacing Miami on the rotation). So, yes, there's a picture on the lab fridge of me and a former post-doc standing inside the Disney entrance. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
What!? No MM ears to match!?

Don't tempt me! The thought did actually crossed my mind. But I think I need to save what little dignity I have left. :)

The problem with this type of conferences is that the organizing committee are always facilities that actually have a significant accelerator research program. Unfortunately, insitutions around Orlando, such as U. of Central Florida, have no accelerator research programs (I certainly haven't bumped into any of them). So unless Mickey is planning on building a huge accelerator right next do the Astro Orbiter ride, I'm out of luck with having one of these conferences in Orlando. <sob>

Zz.

Evo said:
Heheh, they're probably all envious. :tongue:

Unfortunately, half of them don't even notice what I'm wearing. So maybe I DO need to go with the Mickey ears route. :)

It's a "good" addiction. :approve:

Are you having a good time?

I'm having a blast and I'm going to tell why in my next journal entry. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm having a blast and I'm going to tell why in my next journal entry. :)

Zz.
Ha! A sneaky way to drive more people to your journal. I just get locked outside in my underwear. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Ha! A sneaky way to drive more people to your journal. I just get locked outside in my underwear. :biggrin:

I have to find a good way to do that myself. I've been catching up on Tom Mattson's journal views and am just dying to see his reaction if I finally surpass him. I thought Zz starting a thread about my journal might do the trick, and it sure helped, but not quite enough. :grumpy: C'mon everyone, just go click on my journal. You don't really even need to read it, just view it. :biggrin:

ZZ - Before we get back to Disney World Resort, is there any discussion at PAC on light element spallation? Would you happen to know of any database on the spallation product distributions for each element (Al and lighter) as a function of incident particle energy? Finally, is there a charged particle Monte-Carlo transport code similar to MCNP (Monte-Carlo Neutron/Photon)?

With regard to accelerator research programs - I guess PAC is devoted to the physics of the accelerators, more than the physics of the experiments.

Can you define "a significant accelerator research program." Does one have to have an accelerator on site. University of Florida, Dept. of Physics has the "Institute for Fundamental Theory" - http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~ift/ . Would they qualify as a signifcant program? :biggrin:

Maybe I am pulling at straws.

Too bad, ANS had a meeting in Orlando last September.

Astronuc said:
ZZ - Before we get back to Disney World Resort, is there any discussion at PAC on light element spallation? Would you happen to know of any database on the spallation product distributions for each element (Al and lighter) as a function of incident particle energy? Finally, is there a charged particle Monte-Carlo transport code similar to MCNP (Monte-Carlo Neutron/Photon)?

I do not know much about spallation sources. So I may have to ask around or look it up.

With regard to accelerator research programs - I guess PAC is devoted to the physics of the accelerators, more than the physics of the experiments.

You're somewhat correct here. We provide the "machinery" based on what it is intended to do.

Can you define "a significant accelerator research program." Does one have to have an accelerator on site. University of Florida, Dept. of Physics has the "Institute for Fundamental Theory" - http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~ift/ . Would they qualify as a signifcant program? :biggrin:

I guess my criteria would be if anyone from that institution have published anything either in previous PAC proceedings, or have published in PRST-AB. One does need an accelerator facility, either a cyclotron, an accelerator, etc. to typically be considered to have a significant accelerator program by most standards.

10 more days before I leave for Disney World! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I guess my criteria would be if anyone from that institution have published anything either in previous PAC proceedings, or have published in PRST-AB. One does need an accelerator facility, either a cyclotron, an accelerator, etc. to typically be considered to have a significant accelerator program by most standards.
You could put Mickey Mouse and Professor Ludwig von Drake as co-authors on a paper. :biggrin:

Here is some background on von Drake - http://duckman.pettho.com/characters/ludwig.html .

Perhaps it would be more practical to have DOE donate a surplus cyclotron as a science exhibit at Disney World. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Perhaps it would be more practical to have DOE donate a surplus cyclotron as a science exhibit at Disney World. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, with all the funding cutbacks especially in high energy physics, there is no such thing as a "surplus" of anything anymore. :(

There was a physics teachers booth at the science fair yesterday, and they were giving out 'toys' such as periodic table refrigerator magnets (I took 4), mouspads, diffraction glasses, etc. The lady said "Take these and give them to your kids!". I then said "Hey, who needs kids? These things are for me. I don't need kids to enjoy these things" and showed her the logo on my polo shirt that says "Disney World Passholder". She wasn't quite sure what to say anything in return. :)

9 more days before Disney World trip. We have tickets to see La Nuba again, a dinner reservation at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and a reservation for breakfast with the characters at the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom.

Zz.

I presume you mean La Nouba(Cirque Du Soleil).

We have tickets to see La Nuba again, a dinner reservation at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and a reservation for breakfast with the characters at the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom.
That sounds like a pretty full schedule. I usually just go to places - my family would appreciate more organization on my part. :biggrin:

You said "we", so is this a group or family thing you do at Disney World? Do you do this annually?

Astronuc said:
I presume you mean La Nouba(Cirque Du Soleil).

Yes, I do. I just don't spell well.

That sounds like a pretty full schedule. I usually just go to places - my family would appreciate more organization on my part. :biggrin:

You said "we", so is this a group or family thing you do at Disney World? Do you do this annually?

It's a group of friends and "extended family", and for the Memorial Day week, it has become an annual thing since 2000. The Labor Day week trip also has become an annual thing for me too, but with a smaller group (sometime there's just 2 of us, sometime 12!) I've only done end of the year/New Year once, and I don't think I'll do it again quite exactly as that (even *I* found that too busy and packed). But I may just do 1st of the year and the week following that so that I can again do my birthday there.

Zz.

So, you're getting very close to heading to Disney World! :approve: You'll have to keep those of us not fortunate enough to go updated with all the fun you're having! I wish Integral would have posted more pictures of his trip.

Evo said:
So, you're getting very close to heading to Disney World!

Yup! I can't wait! I just have to suffer through a week of work next week. And Astronuc gave me an idea. I think on Friday next week, the day before I leave for Disney, I'll wear my Mickey Ears hat to work! They'll think Halloween has come early, but I won't care...

You'll have to keep those of us not fortunate enough to go updated with all the fun you're having! I wish Integral would have posted more pictures of his trip.

I will certainly try to post some since one of us will be bringing a laptop. Just be prepared for a whole lot of pictures!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But I may just do 1st of the year and the week following that so that I can again do my birthday there.

Zz.

Ooh ooh ooh ooh, that would really work better for me than September! When I do travel to FL to visit my parents for the holidays, I usually wait until the actual holidays are over and the kiddies are heading back to school. The weather can sometimes be a bit chilly, but sometimes that's better than roasting in the sun. That was the time of year when I went to Universal...no lines anywhere! I realized the park actually seems small when you can ride everything in half a day, even with my slow parents tagging along (they have to stop and rest at every park bench they pass...all the more reason to go with people my own age). And, it'll be the perfect excuse not to stay at my parents' house if I can tell them I'll be hanging out with some guy I met on the internet. :biggrin: (:uhh: If mom shows up with a priest, RUN!)

ZapperZ said:
Yup! I can't wait! I just have to suffer through a week of work next week. And Astronuc gave me an idea. I think on Friday next week, the day before I leave for Disney, I'll wear my Mickey Ears hat to work! They'll think Halloween has come early, but I won't care...

Notice to PF Papparazzi
Anyone in the Chicago area next Friday, be on the lookout for someone in the Physics Dept wearing mouse ears. Long range telephoto lenses are recommended to get a clear shot without scaring off subject. We will pay well for a clear photo of ZZ's face.​

:tongue2: