Point of intersection between a parabola and a circle

In summary: I don't think that's quite precise enough. A value of r can produce one or two solutions for t2.Every positive real value for t2 will yield two real and distinct solutions for t.Complex values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.Negative real values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.t2 = 0 yields one real solution for t.It follows that we need r to produce exactly one positive real value for t2 and no zero values. There are two distinct ways it can do this: by producing a repeated real root of the equation for t2, or by producing one positive real root and one negative......and the latter occurs when r > 2....and the latter
sooyong94

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve C defined parametrically by
##x=t^{2} -2, y=t##

Write down the Cartesian equation of the circle with center as the origin and radius ##r##. Show that this circle meets the curve C at points whose parameter ##t## satisfies the equation
##t^{4} -3t^{2} +4-r^{2}=0##

(a) In the case ##r=2\sqrt{2}##, find the coordinates of the two points of intersection of the curve and the circle

(b) Find the range of values of ##r## for which the curve and the circle have exactly two points in common.

Homework Equations

Equation of a circle, parametric equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##x=t^{2} -2, y=t##
##x=y^{2} -2##
##y^{2}=x+2##
The equation represent a parabola.

The equation of a circle with origin as the center and radius ##r## is given by
##x^{2}+y^{2} =r^{2} ##

Substituting ##x=t^{2} -2## and ##y=t##, and simplifying it gives
##t^{4} -3t^{2} +4-r^{2}=0##

(a) Taking ##r=2\sqrt{2}##, and solving it for t, I have t=+-2, and hence x=2 and y=2, as well as x=2 and y=-2.

(b) Now I'm stuck at this part. I know I can use quadratic discriminant for quadratic equations, but this is a quartic equation. How do I work this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a quartic equation in t, but a simple substitution can turn your quartic in t into a quadratic in another variable.

SteamKing said:
It's a quartic equation in t, but a simple substitution can turn your quartic in t into a quadratic in another variable.
I know since the circle cuts the parabola at two points, therefore ##b^{2} -4ac >0##?

Now, if I let ##u=t^{2} ##, then using the quadratic discriminant, then ##r>\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}## or ##r<-\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}## ?

You can always draw a sketch and see if those values of r satisfy the original requirements for the circle and the parabola.

Well, the solution checks out!
Capture.jpg

But why this works when r=sqrt(7) /2 but not greater? :confused:

Last edited:
sooyong94 said:
Well, the solution checks out!
Capture.jpg

But why this works when r=sqrt(7) /2 but not greater? :confused:
I'm a bit confused too.
You posted that ##r>\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}## or ##r<-\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}##. r is a radius; r and -r yield the same circle, so it's usual to take only r ≥ 0.
Looking at the graph, what will happen as you increase r? The OP asks for those r where there are exactly two points of intersection.

haruspex said:
I'm a bit confused too.
You posted that ##r>\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}## or ##r<-\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}##. r is a radius; r and -r yield the same circle, so it's usual to take only r ≥ 0.
Looking at the graph, what will happen as you increase r? The OP asks for those r where there are exactly two points of intersection.

When I increase the value of r, it seems like there are four solutions... :confused:

sooyong94 said:
When I increase the value of r, it seems like there are four solutions... :confused:
How much can you increase r and still have 4 solutions?

What if you continue to increase r beyond that? Can you then get fewer solutions?

SammyS said:
How much can you increase r and still have 4 solutions?

What if you continue to increase r beyond that? Can you then get fewer solutions?

Well, yeah, but I found the answer should be r>2...

sooyong94 said:
Well, yeah, but I found the answer should be r>2...
Not sure what you are saying there.
Are you saying you have been told the answer is r > 2, but you don't understand why, or that by following SammyS's advice you now get the answer r > 2? Either way, that is not the complete answer since you already correctly found one value less than that.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you are saying there.
Are you saying you have been told the answer is r > 2, but you don't understand why, or that by following SammyS's advice you now get the answer r > 2? Either way, that is not the complete answer since you already correctly found one value less than that.

Sorry about that...
I was meant that the book's answer tells me that the correct answer is r>2... :(

sooyong94 said:
Sorry about that...
I was meant that the book's answer tells me that the correct answer is r>2... :(
Yes when posting an answer from the book, it reduces confusion to state the source of the answer.

haruspex's comment means that the complete answer to part (b) is:

[itex]\displaystyle \left\{ r: r=\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2} \text{ or } r>2
\right\}\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
Yes when posting an answer from the book, it reduces confusion to state the source of the answer.

haruspex's comment means that the complete answer to part (b) is:

[itex]\displaystyle \left\{ r: r=\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2} \text{ or } r>2
\right\}\ .[/itex]

But why r>2? :confused:

sooyong94 said:
But why r>2? :confused:
Look at that graph.

SammyS said:
Look at that graph.
Like this?

Capture.png

Capture2.png

However I don't know how to get the inequality r>2. :confused:

Yes .

sooyong94 said:
However I don't know how to get the inequality r>2. :confused:
Do you mean that you don't know how to get it from the graph? How many points of contact when r=2. How many when r is a bit > 2? Will the number change again as r increases to infinity?

Or do you mean that you can see it from the graph but want to derive it algebraically?

Solve the equation ##t^{4} -3t^{2} +4-r^{2}=0## for t2 and figure out when one of the roots is negative.

ehild

ehild said:
Solve the equation ##t^{4} -3t^{2} +4-r^{2}=0## for t2 and figure out when one of the roots is negative.
I don't think that's quite precise enough.
A value of r can produce one or two solutions for t2.
Every positive real value for t2 will yield two real and distinct solutions for t.
Complex values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.
Negative real values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.
t2 = 0 yields one real solution for t.
It follows that we need r to produce exactly one positive real value for t2 and no zero values. There are two distinct ways it can do this: by producing a repeated real root of the equation for t2, or by producing one positive real root and one negative one.

haruspex said:
Do you mean that you don't know how to get it from the graph? How many points of contact when r=2. How many when r is a bit > 2? Will the number change again as r increases to infinity?

Or do you mean that you can see it from the graph but want to derive it algebraically?

I can see it from the graph but I want to solve it algebraically... :P

sooyong94 said:
I can see it from the graph but I want to solve it algebraically... :P

Then see my post #19.

haruspex said:
I don't think that's quite precise enough.
A value of r can produce one or two solutions for t2.
Every positive real value for t2 will yield two real and distinct solutions for t.
Complex values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.
Negative real values for t2 yield no real solutions for t.
t2 = 0 yields one real solution for t.
It follows that we need r to produce exactly one positive real value for t2 and no zero values. There are two distinct ways it can do this: by producing a repeated real root of the equation for t2, or by producing one positive real root and one negative one.

So what should I do next? Use a substitution?

sooyong94 said:
So what should I do next? Use a substitution?

Yes, that's one way to start.

What substitution do you have in mind? One possibility stands out.

Last edited:
##u=t^{2}## ? I did tried that. :(

sooyong94 said:
##u=t^{2}## ? I did tried that. :(

So, that gives:
##u^{2} -3u +4-r^{2}=0\ ## ,​
Right?

Putting t2 back in for u gives
##\displaystyle \ t^2=\frac{3}{2} \pm \sqrt{r^2-(7/2)\,}\ ## .​

Now consider all the possibilities.

SammyS said:
So, that gives:
##u^{2} -3u +4-r^{2}=0\ ## ,​
Right?

Putting t2 back in for u gives
##\displaystyle \ t^2=\frac{3}{2} \pm \sqrt{r^2-(7/2)\,}\ ## .​

Now consider all the possibilities.

What possibilities? Do you mean the number of solutions?

sooyong94 said:
What possibilities? Do you mean the number of solutions?

Number and what kind -- real or complex (with non-zero) imaginary part, and multiplicity.

SammyS said:
Number and what kind -- real or complex (with non-zero) imaginary part, and multiplicity.

So I need to find the set values for which it only has one solution right?

1. What is the point of intersection between a parabola and a circle?

The point of intersection between a parabola and a circle is the point where the two curves intersect each other.

2. How can I find the coordinates of the point of intersection between a parabola and a circle?

The coordinates of the point of intersection can be found by solving the equations of the parabola and the circle simultaneously. This can be done using algebraic methods or graphically by plotting the two curves on a graph.

3. Can a parabola and a circle have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, a parabola and a circle can have up to two points of intersection. These points can be real or complex depending on the equations of the curves.

4. What is the significance of the point of intersection between a parabola and a circle?

The point of intersection between a parabola and a circle can represent the solution to a real-life problem or mathematical equation. It can also be used to find the common solutions to two different equations.

5. Are there any special cases where a parabola and a circle do not intersect?

Yes, there are several special cases where a parabola and a circle do not intersect. For example, if the parabola and the circle have the same center or if the circle is completely inside or outside the parabola, they will not intersect.