Why is the matrix $(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$ not equal to $(A+B)^{-1}$?

In summary: I will think about it ...In summary, the conversation discusses the result that if A, B, and A+B are invertible matrices with the same size, then their product equals the identity matrix. The conversation then explores the implication of this result on the equality of (A^-1 + B^-1) and (A+B)^-1. It is shown that these two matrices are not equal, as adding two matrices and then taking the inverse is not the same as taking the inverse of individual matrices and summing the result. This concept is illustrated with the example of adding two numbers and taking their inverse, which is not equal to the inverse of the sum of the two numbers.
alingy1
Show that if A, B and A+B are invertible matrices with the same size, then
$$A(A^{-1}+B^{-1})B(A+B)^{-1}=I$$

What does the result in the first part tell you about the matrix $$(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$$?

I get the first part. Help me with the second part. My book says that the matrix $$(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$$ is not equal to $$(A+B)^{-1}$$
How did they mathematically prove that?

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
My book says that the matrix $$(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$$ is not equal to $$(A+B)^{-1}$$

Multiply ##(A^{-1}+B^{-1})## with ##(A+B)##. Do you get ##I##?

ehild

alingy1 said:
Show that if A, B and A+B are invertible matrices with the same size, then
$$A(A^{-1}+B^{-1})B(A+B)^{-1}=I$$

What does the result in the first part tell you about the matrix $$(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$$?

I get the first part. Help me with the second part. My book says that the matrix $$(A^{-1}+B^{-1})$$ is not equal to $$(A+B)^{-1}$$

Think about it, is adding two matrices together and then taking the inverse of the resulting matrix the same as taking the inverse of the two matrices individually and summing the result? If you try this for some easy 2x2 cases you will see it does not hold.

Does it surprise you? For a and b numbers, [itex]\frac{1}{a}+ \frac{1}{b}[/itex] is generally NOT equal to [itex]\frac{1}{a+ b}[/itex].

Hmmm ... the statement that ##(A^{-1} + B^{-1}) \ne (A+B)^{-1}## should be rather "obvious" for the reasons given in the other posts, but I don't quite see the why the result of the first part should make you think of it.

1. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of a matrix undoes the effects of the original matrix.

2. Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows for the solution of linear equations involving matrices. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion formulas, and the LU decomposition method. These methods involve various mathematical operations and algorithms.

4. Can all matrices have an inverse?

No, not all matrices have an inverse. For a matrix to have an inverse, it must be a square matrix (same number of rows and columns) and its determinant (a numerical value) must not be zero.

5. What is the significance of the determinant in finding the inverse of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a numerical value that helps determine if the matrix has an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix does not have an inverse. If the determinant is non-zero, the matrix has an inverse, and its value is used in finding the inverse using various methods.