Job Advice: Should I Take the Antenna Design Job?

• Thread starter RF_Pif
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's dilemma of choosing between a job offer in the field of antenna design, which is not their preferred area of interest, and continuing to search for a job in their preferred field of electronics. Some advice is given to take the job for the experience it offers and the potential to network and transition into electronics later on. The individual also mentions being involved in ham radio activities as a way to continue pursuing their interest in RF.
RF_Pif
Hey guys i am new in this forum ! I wish you are fine. Well i am finishing my MSc in Electronics and searching for a job.

Basically, i like more the electronics and especially, analog, microwave/RF => designing individula stages or systems TX-RX etc

However, i have a proposal from a company that is related with antennas. I have done in the past a lot of things in antenna field

but it is not my favorite objective. I gave 2 interviews about RF Engineer and i failed unfortunately. A lot of people advise me to

start the job with antenna design to obtain some experience and then i can move to electronics more easily because i will meet

a lot of people etc.. the contract is 2 years. I don't know what to do.. what do you believe ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice night

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a choice between a job and a dream.

In making a decision like this, what I think it ultimately comes down to is how realistic you think your chances are of landing a job in the short term that's more consistent with what you see yourself doing in the long term, and how long you can draw out that search.

In my experience, no job will be perfect and two years is short compared to the length of your career. So if this antenna design job is a potential avenue to get you where you want to go, it might be a good idea to take it on. I don't know the electrical engineering market though.

I think you should go with the job. It's only 2 years and you'll gain experience. Who knows? you may find the job very interesting and decide to stay in that field.

One thing about designing antennas: You end up in the field a lot. You meet with the customers quite a bit and you learn lots of interesting things that aren't exactly antenna related. For example, you learn how to protect against lightning, antenna site management, and a whole host of interesting opportunities.

Of course you may not like these things, but you can always play with electronics as a ham radio enthusiast...

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Well i think i will start the job to gain experience.. in the same time i will involved in RF through ham activities :) thnanks a lot

1. What are the responsibilities of an antenna design job?

An antenna design job typically involves designing, testing, and optimizing antennas for various applications. This may include working with a team to develop new antenna concepts, creating computer models and simulations, and conducting experiments to evaluate antenna performance.

2. What skills are needed for an antenna design job?

An antenna design job requires a strong background in electrical engineering and a good understanding of electromagnetic theory. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and simulation tools is also important, as well as experience with antenna testing and measurement techniques.

3. What type of projects can I expect to work on in an antenna design job?

The projects you work on in an antenna design job will vary depending on the company and industry. Some common projects may include developing antennas for wireless communication systems, designing antennas for satellite or space applications, or optimizing antennas for military or defense purposes.

4. Is this job in high demand?

The demand for antenna design jobs depends on the specific industry and location. Generally, there is a growing demand for wireless communication technologies, which may lead to an increased demand for antenna design professionals in the future.

5. What are the potential career growth opportunities in this field?

With experience and expertise, there are several potential career growth opportunities in antenna design. This may include moving into a leadership or management role, specializing in a specific type of antenna or application, or pursuing research and development in the field.