Radiation and heat transfer stuff

In summary: For the second sum, you need to solve the heat equation for the crate of fruit. First, use the specific heat capacity to find the amount of energy needed to heat the fruit to the uniform final temperature. Then use Stefan's Law to find the temperature change.
ilovephysics
1) A blackended, solid copper sphere of radius 4.0cm hangs in a vacuum in a enclosure whose walls have a temperature of 20.0 celcius. If the sphere is initially at 0 celcius find the rate at which the temp. changes assuming that heat is transferred by radiation only

2 questions:
- do we assume emissivity is unity? (1)
- how do you find the rate the temp changes after you find the rate of energy radiation (work which is joules/second )

2)A crate of fruit with mass 35.0kg and specific heat capacity 3650 J/kg K slides down a ramp inclined at 36.8 degrees below the horizontal. The ramp is 8.00m long. a) if the crate was at rest at the top of the incline and has a speed of 2.50m/s at the bottom, how much work was done on the crate by friction? b) if an amount of heat equal to the magnitude of the work done by friction goes into the crate of fruit and the fruit reaches a uniform final temperature, what is its temperature change?

-i think this is a simple question about friction and stuff but i don't remember how to calculate that stuff, and we are not given the coefficient of kinetic/static friction so I am kinda stuck
-as for part b), I am not sure which equation to use to get the change in temp.

Physics news on Phys.org
1)
For the first sum, I think you need the Heat capcity of the copper sphere to solve the question. Now dq=ms dT, dq/dt = ms(dT/dt) where T is temperature and t is time.
Use this and stefan's law, and you should get your answer. As the sphere is blackended, we should assume the emissivity is 1, though this is not strictly true.

thanks, but how do i know what the mass of the sphere is?

If you know the density of copper, and calculate the volume of the copper sphere, from that you can find the mass.

1. What is radiation and how does it differ from heat transfer?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves. Heat transfer, on the other hand, is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects due to a difference in temperature.

2. How does radiation affect our daily lives?

Radiation is present in many forms in our daily lives, such as sunlight, microwaves, and X-rays. It can have both positive and negative effects, as it can be used for medical imaging and cancer treatment, but also has the potential to cause harm if exposure levels are too high.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between two objects, the surface area of the objects, and the type of material the objects are made of. Additionally, the presence of insulation or air flow can also impact the rate of heat transfer.

4. How does radiation impact the Earth's climate?

Radiation plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate. The sun's radiation warms the Earth's surface, and the Earth then radiates heat back into the atmosphere. However, human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, can increase the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, trapping more heat and leading to global warming.

5. Can radiation be harmful to humans?

High levels of radiation exposure can be harmful to humans, as it can damage cells and DNA. However, low levels of radiation exposure are present in our daily lives and are not harmful. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to high levels of radiation to prevent potential health risks.