Electro-Conductivity Layer Question

• Thread starter T.Swede
  • Start date
In summary, the total conductivity for a stackup of layers with different conductivity values and the same thickness, in intimate contact with each other (no air gaps), can be calculated using the equation 1/sigmatotal = 1/sigma1 + 1/sigma2 + ... This is similar to the rule for adding resistances in parallel and capacitors in series, and also applies to conductance in thermodynamics.
T.Swede
Given different conductivity values, sigma1, sigma2, etc.

Given the thicknesses are the same.

Given the layers are in intimate contact with each other. (No air gaps.)

Is the whole conductivity for the stackup of layers follow this:

1/sigmatotal = 1/sigma1 + 1/sigma2 + ... ?

Is this correct?

Is this the same equation as resistors in parallel, capacitors in series, conductors in thermo?

I don't know (more like I can't remember - E&M and thermo years ago) and would appreciate the help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No Takers?

T.Swede said:
Given different conductivity values, sigma1, sigma2, etc.

Given the thicknesses are the same.

Given the layers are in intimate contact with each other. (No air gaps.)

Is the whole conductivity for the stackup of layers follow this:

1/sigmatotal = 1/sigma1 + 1/sigma2 + ... ?

Is this correct?

Is this the same equation as resistors in parallel, capacitors in series, conductors in thermo?

I don't know (more like I can't remember - E&M and thermo years ago) and would appreciate the help. Thank you.

No physics majors? :smile: I'm not trying to trip anyone up. I am being sincere. Should I reword the question? How about this:

Take several metals of different conductivity, with the same thickness, intimately layered on each other. What is the total conductivity?

Should I try another forum? Anyone that I could ask would be appreciated? Thank you.

Hi there Swede. No physics major, but I hope my electronics major will do ^^. That seems correct. If you want to look at it from another view point. Consider that conductivity is the inverse of resistance, so...

conductivity = 1/resistance

And the resistance add up rule is:

Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

Then why not have the conductivity addup rule be:

1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... (since R1 = 1/C1, R2 = 1/C2 ...)

And yes, as far as I can remember, it is the same equation for capacitors and conductance in thermodynamics =D

Last edited:

1. What is an electro-conductivity layer?

An electro-conductivity layer is a layer of material that allows electricity to pass through it. It is often used in electronic devices as a way to transfer electrical signals or to control the flow of electricity.

2. How does an electro-conductivity layer work?

The electro-conductivity layer works by having a high concentration of free electrons that can easily move through the material. This allows electricity to flow through the layer, creating a conductive pathway.

3. What types of materials are commonly used for electro-conductivity layers?

Some common materials used for electro-conductivity layers include metals like copper, silver, and gold, as well as conductive polymers like graphene and carbon nanotubes.

4. What are some applications of electro-conductivity layers?

Electro-conductivity layers have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, as well as in medical devices, solar panels, and even clothing with built-in sensors.

5. How is the thickness of an electro-conductivity layer determined?

The thickness of an electro-conductivity layer is determined by the specific application and the level of conductivity required. Thicker layers typically have a higher conductivity, but also come with increased cost and potentially reduced flexibility.