Plotting Software for Linux (FC3) - Publish Quality Graphs

In summary, RyanGNUplot is the best of the bunch. It's free to boot, has a good GUI, and can produce high-quality plots.
Norman
I searched and I didn't find anything for this so here goes:

I am looking for a graphing/plotting package that will allow me to graph data and plot equations on the same graph- publishing quality. Does anyone know of any open source software for Linux (FC3 to be exact) that does this? I downloaded XMGrace but it doesn't seem to allow me to plot equations.
Thanks,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
GNUplot plots equations. Maxima is a CAS that uses GNUplot to graph if asked to.
They work well together.

GNUplot is the best of the bunch?
Thanks for the Maxima info- i have been looking for a good CAS on linux and it is free to boot!

I think gri makes better looking plots. It's not a CAS though so in some cases you would have to produce the stuff you're going to plot in octave, save the data and then plot it. I suppose one can make good looking plots with gnuplot too but I've never got around to learning it so well that the plots wouldn't look like crap.

in addition- I found a decent plotter called LabPlot. It is allowing me to do data and functions defineded over limited intervals on the same graph fairly easily. For mass ploting, and script ploting gnuplot does seem to be the best.

Among the programs I tried, I like DataScene better. It features a cool GUI and produces high-quality graphs. It also has a data animation feature.

http://www.cyber-wit.com

First, don't be a necromancer. It's not nice.

Second, the software you linked to is proprietary.
Norman said:
I am looking for [...] open source software [...]

Sorry, my mistake. Did not pay much attention to "open source".

xftan said:
Sorry, my mistake. Did not pay much attention to "open source".
It's cool. :)

1. What is plotting software for Linux (FC3)?

Plotting software for Linux (FC3) is a type of computer program specifically designed for creating graphs and charts on the Linux operating system. It allows users to input data and customize the visual representation of that data in a variety of ways.

2. What are the benefits of using plotting software for Linux (FC3)?

One of the main benefits of using plotting software for Linux (FC3) is that it is free and open-source, meaning it can be downloaded and used without any cost. Additionally, it offers a wide range of tools and features for creating high-quality, publication-ready graphs and charts.

3. How does plotting software for Linux (FC3) compare to other plotting software?

Plotting software for Linux (FC3) is known for its versatility and compatibility with various data formats and programming languages. It also has a user-friendly interface and a large, active community for support and development. However, some users may find it less intuitive compared to other commercial plotting software.

4. Can plotting software for Linux (FC3) produce professional-quality graphs and charts?

Yes, plotting software for Linux (FC3) is capable of producing professional-quality graphs and charts. It offers a wide range of customization options, such as color schemes, labeling, and formatting, to create visually appealing and accurate representations of data.

5. Are there any limitations to using plotting software for Linux (FC3)?

One limitation of plotting software for Linux (FC3) is that it may not have as many advanced features and tools as some commercial plotting software. Additionally, it may require some technical knowledge and familiarity with Linux operating systems for optimal use.