Understanding Acidity: A look at Hydronium Ions

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the acidity of a protic acid is based on its ability to protonate in a specific solvent. A strong acid is any acid whose aqueous solution is predominantly composed of hydronium ions. A weak acid is any acid that reacts with a weak base, and results in a buffer.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm new here. I haven't done anything more than first year university chemistry, and am not too familiar with the Lewis model for acids and bases. Therefore, please don't be too harsh on me for the elementary nature of this question:

In grade school, we were taught that when a hydrogen atom shares its electron with a chlorine atom, a covalent bond is formed. It holds together the new molecule, hydrogen chloride. Since this compound exists as a gas at standard conditions, it is designated by the chemical formula [tex]HCl_{(g)} [/tex]. We also learned that when hydrogen chloride gas is dissolved in water, it becomes aqueous hydrogen chloride [tex]HCl_{(aq)} [/tex]. The proper name for this is hydrochloric acid.

Later on, we were informed that the molecule does not remain whole once in an aqueous solution. It ionizes to form [tex]H^+_{(aq)}[/tex] ions and [tex]Cl^-_{(aq)}[/tex] ions. We were left with this notion, relatively unaltered, until the Bronsted-Lowry unit, where we learned that the [tex]H^+_{(aq)}[/tex] ion actually reacts with a water molecule to form the hydronium ion: [tex]H_3O^+_{(aq)}[/tex]. Another way of looking at it is that the water molecule accepts a proton “donation” from [tex]\HCl_{(aq)} [/tex]. A crucial point in this unit was that a strong acid is defined as one that nearly completely dissociates (or is it ionizes?) in this manner.

Whoa! That’s the kicker. This means that the final products in the process of dissolving hydrogen chloride are almost entirely hydronium ions and chloride ions. This is the final “acidic” solution. It is the one that displays all of the empirical properties of an acid (i.e. conducts electricity, turns blue litmus red, has a pH < 7.0, etc.). These empirical properties can be attributed entirely to the hydronium ion. Put another way, in the final acidic solution, the so-called strong acid, [tex]HCl_{(aq)} [/tex], is present in negligible quantities. So what is an acid, and how can we call [tex]HCl_{(aq)} [/tex] an acid? Again, I emphasize that for all “strong acids”, the aqueous acidic solution is composed almost entirely of hydronium ions (and the corresponding anions). If this is true, then does the term “hydrochloric acid” really have any meaning at all?

Lest you are in danger of thinking that this little conundrum applies only to the strong acids, consider the following. Why are weak acids less acidic (i.e. have a higher pH)? They are less acidic because the concentration of hydronium ions in the aqueous acidic solution is less. If you ruminate on that answer for a while, I think that you will conclude that the entire notion of “acidity” can be linked solely to the concentration of hydronium ions in an aqueous solution. The remainder of the undissociated compound in the solution doesn’t actually do anything that’s characteristic of an acid. So an acid is an acid because when one places it in water it dissociates into something else that has acidic properties?

If what I have just said isn't true, where have I gone wrong in my thinking?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by cepheid
(snip)
You're doing okay to this point --- might be refinements to be made in your picture, but it's substantially correct.
If you ruminate on that answer for a while, I think that you will conclude that the entire notion of “acidity” can be linked solely to the concentration of hydronium ions in an aqueous solution.

"Acidities" of protic (H containing) acids are measures of their proton donating, or protonating, ability/tendency/capacity/strength in a specified solvent --- it's not restricted to aqueous solutions.

(snip)

Help any?

In an pure aqueous solution (water) a reaction btw H20 + H20 reaches an equilibrium which yields a equal concentrations of the hydronium ion and the OH- (hydroxide) ion.

A strong base is any substance which has the ability to increase the hydroxide concentration; essentially all of the base reacts with the acid.

...and vice versa for the strong acid.

The near opposite of a strong base would be a feeble base in which none of the base reacts with the acid and thus there is no increase in the hydronium concentration.

However, a weak base (acid) is something in btw the latter two categories. Depending on the strength of the acid that the weak base is reacting with we can choose to calculate the equilibrium constant.
A weak base with a weak conjugate acid consitutes a buffer. You should study this area of acids and bases instead of focusing so much on the different concepts of acids and bases. It will help you to understand the relationships between these terms.

1. What is the definition of acidity?

Acidity is a measure of the concentration of hydronium ions (H3O+) in a solution. It is a measure of the strength of an acid, with higher concentrations of hydronium ions indicating a stronger acid.

2. How do hydronium ions contribute to acidity?

Hydronium ions are formed when an acid molecule donates a proton (H+) to a water molecule. This creates a positively charged hydronium ion, which is responsible for the characteristic sour taste and corrosive properties of acids.

3. How is acidity measured?

The most common way to measure acidity is by using the pH scale, which ranges from 0-14. A solution with a pH of 0-6 is considered acidic, a pH of 7 is neutral, and a pH of 8-14 is considered basic. The lower the pH, the higher the concentration of hydronium ions and the stronger the acid.

4. What factors can affect the acidity of a solution?

The concentration of hydronium ions in a solution can be affected by the strength of the acid, temperature, and the presence of other substances that can donate or accept protons. Additionally, diluting an acid with water can decrease its acidity by decreasing the concentration of hydronium ions.

5. How can understanding acidity be useful in daily life?

Understanding acidity is important in many aspects of daily life, from maintaining the pH balance in swimming pools and aquariums, to understanding the effectiveness of household cleaners and personal care products. It is also essential in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science.