Specialize in condensed matter physics

In summary: That's a great overview of the basics, and it's not too hard to find more in-depth resources. In summary, it would be best to take a year of chemistry before specializing in condensed matter physics.
hangover
can one without knowledge of chemistry(high school knowledge) and only having little experimental experience specialize in condensed matter physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend that you take a chemistry class. It's expected of a physics undergrad (i.e. before one specializes in anything) to have taken at least a college level intro to chemistry class.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would recommend that you take a chemistry class. It's expected of a physics undergrad (i.e. before one specializes in anything) to have taken at least a college level intro to chemistry class.
I wasn't aware of this. I don't have any chemistry course in my whole course-load. Maybe those who specialize in condensed matter have some chemistry. If I don't, I guess I'll never have such a course even though it would be nice to take it.

fluidistic said:
I wasn't aware of this. I don't have any chemistry course in my whole course-load. Maybe those who specialize in condensed matter have some chemistry. If I don't, I guess I'll never have such a course even though it would be nice to take it.

Maybe it shouldn't, but this kind of blows my mind :eek:

hangover said:
can one without knowledge of chemistry(high school knowledge) and only having little experimental experience specialize in condensed matter physics?

What do you mean by "specialize in condensed matter physicis"? Such specialization typically occurs in graduate school, which means that you should have had an undergraduate degree in physics, and that implies that you have taken a year of chemistry.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What do you mean by "specialize in condensed matter physicis"? Such specialization typically occurs in graduate school, which means that you should have had an undergraduate degree in physics, and that implies that you have taken a year of chemistry.

Zz.

Did you see https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2519319&postcount=3"?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of matter in its condensed state, such as solids and liquids. It explores the behavior of large numbers of particles and their interactions, and how they give rise to macroscopic phenomena.

2. What are some real-world applications of condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics has many practical applications, including the development of new materials for electronics, energy storage, and medical devices. It also plays a role in understanding the properties of everyday materials, such as metals, plastics, and liquids.

3. What are the main research areas in condensed matter physics?

Some of the main research areas in condensed matter physics include nanotechnology, quantum mechanics, superconductivity, and the study of novel materials such as graphene and topological insulators. Researchers in this field also work on understanding the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as high pressures or low temperatures.

4. What are some experimental techniques used in condensed matter physics?

There are several experimental techniques used in condensed matter physics, including X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the structure, composition, and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

5. What skills are needed to specialize in condensed matter physics?

To specialize in condensed matter physics, one needs a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Proficiency in programming and computer simulations is also important, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good communication and collaboration skills are also beneficial, as research in this field often involves working with a team of scientists.