Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
George Jones said:
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
Brrrrrrr!

Physics news on Phys.org
My truck was all white with frost this morning. In the "heat of the day" we have climbed all the way up to 42 deg.

Sunny and 46 F here. Perfect for raking leaves.

Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away. :eek:

Evo said:
Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away. :eek:
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.

dlgoff said:
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.
Oooh, you're wonderful! An electric fireplace (for safety), flat screen tv, music system. I heard mellow music encourages egg laying.

We're in line to get 8-12" of snow starting later tonight and into tomorrow. I'm as ready as I can expect to be, given the circumstances, but there is still stuff that I'd like to get done.

We're expecting snow in Maine down here too, but nothing locally. I know for you the first 3 inches don't count, but it looks like you're in for more than twice that. Did you get that snowblower with the heated cabin?

I have a walk-behind snow-blower for the light stuff (maybe 6-10 inches) with no cabin at all, and a tractor with a bucket in case the snow is really deep and/or wet. We can never tell with these early storms.

George Jones said:
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).

Here in eastern Montana, on Thursday night November 17, the low was -2° F ( -18.9° C ).

I didn't have to go for a walk, though... lol

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.Just for some fun information, if anybody would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

It was -52° F ( -46.7° C ) here, for a couple of days... think it was 1986, or there about, I don't remember the month.

OCR

OCR said:
Here in eastern Montana, on Thursday night November 17, the low was -2° F ( -18.9° C ).

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.

Just for some fun information, if anybody would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

It was -52° F ( -46.7° C ) here, for a couple of days... think it was 1986, or there about, I don't remember the month.

OCR
With wind chill 63F below zero, Upstate, NY. The most uncomfortable was Steamboat Springs, CO. You would inhale through your nose and your nose hair would instantly ice up and crackle.

OCR said:

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.

Just for some fun information, if anybody would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

OCR

Sounds close to what I experienced for several days when I lived in Fairbanks, AK. It was bumping around between -45 and -50 C.

The year after I moved away from Alaska, they had record-breaking cold. The thermometers at Eielson Air Force Base only went to -70 F and I heard they were pegged out. Brrrr, I'm glad I missed it!

right when it hit -30 F here, the water heater element burned out and the upstairs registers got airlocked. It happened to be a weekend too. All's well now, though.

This brings me to mind of the winter of aught five. Well sonny, it was so cold that we emptied out the freezer and got inside to warm up. It was plenty below, but it kept dropping. We had to push the house down the street to jump start the furnace. That's when it really started to get chilly. We went to milk the cows and got ice cream instead. It still fell lower. It was colder than a snowball on a rat's #$@ in hell on a cold day in July when the sun don't shine. But lower it went. Flashers would merely describe themselves. But then it got really cold. I had to button up my vest.

Jimmy Snyder said:
This brings me to mind of the winter of aught five. Well sonny, it was so cold that we emptied out the freezer and got inside to warm up. It was plenty below, but it kept dropping. We had to push the house down the street to jump start the furnace. That's when it really started to get chilly. We went to milk the cows and got ice cream instead. It still fell lower. It was colder than a snowball on a rat's #$@ in hell on a cold day in July when the sun don't shine. But lower it went. Flashers would merely describe themselves. But then it got really cold. I had to button up my vest.
:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
I hate when that happens.

OCR said:

OCR

-63C in Resolute, NWT, Canada in February 1989

The station temperature was a bit higher but we were in a shallow valley, where the coldest air tends to accumulate.

So why be in a valley anyway? because that's where enough snow accumulates to build yourself an igloo. We were practicing arctic survival, hosted by the Canadian Armed Forces.

Actually the thermometer minimum was -60C so we had to estimate the length of the fluid column. So that challenges Mark Twain's hypothesis:

Mark Twain said:
“Cold! If the thermometer had been an inch longer we'd have frozen to death.”

We have about 4" on the ground, so it's just starting to actually snow. The breeze is out of the E-NE, so this one could last a while. If the wind was stronger, we could hope for it to move on soon. Not happening.

Thats such a contrast from where I am at the moment. Its the most unusual feeling being in a temperate city where its still 25-35C outside in NOVEMBER! I almost can't believe it. I recently went back home and brought a load of warm clothes with me, but I don't use them :p

Look around you, chaos. What are other people wearing? When I was doing consulting work in south GA, I'd fly into Tallahassee because air-fares to there were very cheap. I'd be dressed in jeans and a T-shirt in winter when I got out of the terminal, and so many of the people around me were wearing sweats and down vests/jackets. When the daytime temps plummet to ~60F there, out comes the winter gear. It's pretty crazy.

Duke and I took a run to the nearest large town today. Normally a 20-minute drive at most, but today it took almost 45 minutes because people were freaked out by the snow. It's the first time that the dog-limo Honda pickup truck has been out in the snow, and it performed beautifully. Gotta love the Ridgeline for this climate.

The temp has been vacillating around freezing for the last couple of hours, so I'll have my hands full tomorrow. Maybe a bit of shoveling and a lot of Kubota.

It's not cold here yet in Houston, but wow, the fall foliage is absolutely fantastic this year compared to normal thanks to the prolonged drought last spring/summer/fall.

Getting whip-sawed today. The temp is not bad, but the winds have been scary. We have lost power at least twice today, and I don't think it's over yet. My wife called during her lunch break, and I was walking around with the cordless hand-set and saw heavy rain coming down diagonally driven by an east wind, looking out the back door. A few minutes later there was equally-heavy rain coming down diagonally driven by a west wind. Just nuts!

Last edited:
turbo said:
We have lost power at least twice today ...
We too lost power at the Johnson Space Center, a couple of days ago. Some idiot in a pickup truck ran way, way off the road and into one of the towers that support the high tension power lines that feed the center.Edit
It is getting a bit chilly outside here. Tomorrow's high is only going to be 58°F, almost ten degrees below average. Finally. It's been a warm fall here.

Last edited:
So this morning whilst I was pleasantly dreaming a scrapping sound started to enter my dream. After a while it woke me to a lucid state and I idly wondered what it was, I concluded it was someone simply scraping ice off of their windscreen outside. But after it had gone on for a while I realized it sounded less like a scraper and more like a shovel. I jumped out of bed, drew my curtains and found...
m927gz.jpg

SNOW! None was predicted but we had several inches, Christmas has started.

I love the weather forecsters, who else can be completely wrong most of the time and keep their jobs?

Nice picture!

Evo said:
I love the weather forecsters, who else can be completely wrong most of the time and keep their jobs?

Nice picture!
It's an enviable career, for sure.

Best I can make out, there are probably no windows at the weather bureau.

Years back, we had a radio DJ whose "forecasts" consisted of looking out the studio windows. "Wow! Look at it snow out there. It will probably keep up for a while, although it could turn to rain..." The guy was a hoot!

Actually, if you were allowed to listen to the radio when at work in your windowless cubby, his "forecasts" could really be useful when planning your commute home.

Evo said:

Nice picture!
Cheers :biggrin: On the news just now there was a reporter interviewing someone from the Met Office. They asked about some of the incorrect predictions and he said something like "well we knew it was either going to be A, B, or C and we had to pick one"

I always say "tomorrow weather will be the same as it is today". I am about as good as forecasters, but much cheaper.

It is raining now, so I think it will rain tomorrow.

It is 32 degrees here. The problem is that the ground is frozen and the rain is freezing to the road-deck. I went out to our paved driveway to get Duke to come back in the house, and damned near took a header. Cars and trucks are off the road everywhere, and the roads are so slick that ambulances and wreckers are having a hard time getting to the wrecks,

Now the REAL bad part: my wife is on her way home from work. She has studded snow tires on her AWD Subaru Forester, but I'm afraid that extra level of confidence could result in over-confidence. (fingers crossed!)

I'm sitting here in the comfort of the family room so you can well imagine how overconfident I am. I just hope I don't spin out and hit the sofa. Give your wife my best when she gets home.

turbo said:
It is 32 degrees here. The problem is that the ground is frozen and the rain is freezing to the road-deck. I went out to our paved driveway to get Duke to come back in the house, and damned near took a header. Cars and trucks are off the road everywhere, and the roads are so slick that ambulances and wreckers are having a hard time getting to the wrecks,

Now the REAL bad part: my wife is on her way home from work. She has studded snow tires on her AWD Subaru Forester, but I'm afraid that extra level of confidence could result in over-confidence. (fingers crossed!)
Turbo,

Let her take the Ridgeline next time, higher up, safer, and the traction control works great on slush, ice, but not stone hard ice. I love the truck in the snow never have come close to getting stuck, go slow and easy and it is a piece of cake.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Turbo,

Let her take the Ridgeline next time, higher up, safer, and the traction control works great on slush, ice, but not stone hard ice. I love the truck in the snow never have come close to getting stuck, go slow and easy and it is a piece of cake.

Rhody...
Her Forester has full-time AWD, traction control, stability control, etc, like my Ridgeline. The difference is that we bought a set of fully studded soft-compound snow tires, so her vehicle us preferable to mine in ice.