Heating water flowing through Copper tube

In summary, because the longer the tube, the more resistance it will offer to the heat transfer process, and therefore the higher the temperature at the end of the tube will be.
seanist5890
Hey guys,

Im designing a system where water flows through a copper tube or coil where it is heated and sprayed out the other end. My question is, how does the length of the tube/coil play a role in this heat transfer problem?

What I would like to do is pass the water through the inlet at a given temperature (likely room temp) and heat it using the copper tubing inside of a handheld device, and spray it out the other end at a temperature around 37 °C. What would be a good equation or set of equations to use? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
seanist5890 said:
Hey guys,

Im designing a system where water flows through a copper tube or coil where it is heated and sprayed out the other end. My question is, how does the length of the tube/coil play a role in this heat transfer problem?

What I would like to do is pass the water through the inlet at a given temperature (likely room temp) and heat it using the copper tubing inside of a handheld device, and spray it out the other end at a temperature around 37 °C. What would be a good equation or set of equations to use? Thanks.

Because H=i^2rt and r=rho L/A ; more the length, more the resistance and more is the heat generated.
But remember that H is also proportional to i^2
Therefore, you must also aim for amount of current to be more.

What you're asking for is more complex than you realize, but you basically need to utilize heat transfer to calculate the convective coefficient of the fluid flowing through the tube, and based on this you can find the temperature rise per unit length of the tube.

To a first approximation, if you assume that heat transfer between the fluid and the tube is high (high reynold's number e.g. turbulent, etc.) and the length of the tube is long compared to the thermal entry length, your basic calculation will depend on:
  • The mass flow rate of the fluid (kg/s).
  • Initial Temperature (*C or K)
  • Final Temperature (*C or K)
  • Fluid specific heat capacity (J/(kg*K))
Multiplying the mass flow rate by water's heat capacity and the temperature difference will net the first-order required power in watts.

[itex]Power = c_{p}*m_{dot}*\Delta T[/itex]

I've attached a PDF with a sample calculation in it.

Attachments

• Mathcad - Required power heater tube with water.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 5,958
Thanks both of you for your contributions.

I would first like to commend you on your design idea. Using copper tubing to heat water and spray it out at a specific temperature is a great concept.

When it comes to heat transfer, the length of the tube/coil does play a role in the process. The longer the tube/coil, the more surface area there is for heat transfer to occur. This means that longer tubes/coils will have a higher heat transfer rate compared to shorter ones. However, there are other factors that can also affect heat transfer, such as the flow rate of the water and the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet.

To determine the specific equations to use for your design, it would be helpful to know more about the specifications of your handheld device and the flow rate of the water. Generally, the heat transfer rate can be calculated using the equation Q = U x A x ΔT, where Q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the water and the surroundings. However, this equation may need to be modified based on the specific conditions of your design.

I would also recommend conducting some experiments or simulations to determine the best length for your copper tube/coil in order to achieve the desired outlet temperature of 37 °C. This will help ensure that your design is efficient and effective.

Overall, your idea shows great potential and with the right equations and experimentation, you can successfully design a handheld device that heats and sprays water at a specific temperature. Good luck with your project!

1. How does copper affect the heating of water flowing through a tube?

Copper is an excellent conductor of heat, which means it transfers heat quickly and efficiently. When water flows through a copper tube, the heat from the surrounding source (such as a fire or electric coil) is quickly transferred to the water, making it hot.

2. What is the recommended temperature for heating water flowing through a copper tube?

The recommended temperature for heating water flowing through a copper tube is between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This ensures that the water is hot enough for most household needs, but not so hot that it will cause damage to the tube or risk scalding the user.

3. Does the flow rate of water affect the heating process in a copper tube?

Yes, the flow rate of water does affect the heating process in a copper tube. The slower the flow rate, the longer the water will be in contact with the heat source, allowing for more heat transfer. However, it is important to maintain a moderate flow rate to prevent the water from becoming too hot and potentially damaging the tube.

4. How does the diameter of the copper tube impact the heating of water?

The diameter of the copper tube can impact the heating of water in two ways. First, a larger diameter tube will have more surface area for heat transfer, allowing for faster heating of the water. Second, a larger diameter tube may also allow for a higher flow rate, which can also impact the heating process.

5. Is it safe to heat water in a copper tube?

Yes, it is generally safe to heat water in a copper tube. Copper is a durable and heat-resistant material, making it suitable for heating water. However, it is important to monitor the temperature and flow rate to prevent the water from becoming too hot and potentially damaging the tube or posing a risk to the user.