Performance calculation of gas turbines

In summary: They can have either a single or two shaft configuration. The power turbine is directly coupled to the dynamometer. You can calculate the torque and power using the equation (1) and (2).
javaboy420
Hi fellows;
we used the gas turbine from solar inc. A catterpillar company model centaur 4502 and 4702.i am resposible for the test cell where the gas turbines engine tests after over hauling.i face some problems.our engines are two shaft the power turbine direct couple with the dynmometer.the rpm of power turbine is 15500 at 100%.we used a load cell to measure the torque and then calculate the horse power by using hp=rpm*armlength*torque/5252.
Theproblem is that when i correcte these parameters according to the site condition that is corrected horse power which gives the wrong answer i use
corrected hp=ho*sqrt theta/delta and delta=beromatic pressur standard/measured beromatic pressure and theta is t1/t standard.
Can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Show your working out, then spotting the problem will be easier.

Working as under
the conditions are
standard temp=80 deg f
standard pressure=14.696 psia
ambient temp t1=82.7 dgree f
p_barometic=14.5 psia
torque=762 ilf
arm length=1.750 ft
power turbine rpm=14298
so
hp=14298*1.750*762/5252
hp=3630.30
so now i caculate corrected hp as under
first theta=82.7+459.67/80+459.67
theta=1.00500
delta=1.01351
so corrected hp=3630.30/1.01351*sqrt of theta
it is hp=3590 which is wrong data processor show 3854 hp
how can i calculate the gas turbine is two shaft power turbine direct couple to the dynmometer and the gas turbine from the solor companymodel centaur 4702

You correct to 80°F? Cooky.

Your calculation for the corrected power is used for turbofans. I am not sure if it is the same for a turboshaft. I will have to check on that since I don't deal with turboshafts on a daily basis.

You might also want to check your calculation for delta. I get .987

hi
yes we correcet our parameters at 80 degree F.
yes u right the delta is 0.987 sorry for mistake.but how can i found the corrected horse power for two shaft engine in which the power turbine direct connected to the dynomometer?

Since you are dealing with a Cat engine your best bet would be to contact the engineering department at Caterpillar.

anyone can let me know, how to calculate the mechanical torque of a gas turbine ?
please. . .
m waiting......

how to calculate mechanical torque of a gas turbine ?

vj4249 said:
how to calculate mechanical torque of a gas turbine ?

There are lots of ways. What factors do you know?

Brake power = torque * angular velocity

Electrical power = brake power * alternator efficiency

Keep your units consistent. Ask more details in your question and you'll get some more detailed responses.

Gas turbine mechanical torque is calculated using the
equation (1) [3].
F1 = A1 (1-Wf) +B1 (1-N) (1)
Equation (2) calculates the exhaust temperature.
F2 = Tr –A2 (1-Wf) + B2 (1-N) (2)
where
Wf – p.u. fuel flow;
Tr – turbine rated exhaust temperature
N – p.u. turbine rotor speed;
A1, A2, B1, and B2 – coefficients used for calculation of
torque and temperature.
F1, F2 – functions that calculate torque and exhaust
temperature respectively.
nw say?
how to calculate ?

Just correcting the way that you are, you are not actually doing anything very useful.
What you need to do is plot 5 points at 100% 95% 90% 85% and 80% load, at each point log N1 N2 EGT CDP, Intake temperature and pressure exhaust gas pressure, intake DP and fuel flow.
Correct all parameters from test to iso and iso to site, then plot N1 site against Psite and add the site N1 OPLIM where the two lines cross is your maximum power, do the same for N2 EGT CDP.
If you don't have one get a copy of PTC 22

vj4249 said:
anyone can let me know, how to calculate the mechanical torque of a gas turbine ?
please. . .
m waiting......

These are industrial gas turbines with a mechanical drive output imagine an an aero jet with a shaft bolted onto the nose bullet, that is your drive shaft.

1. How is the performance of a gas turbine calculated?

The performance of a gas turbine is typically calculated using a combination of thermodynamic and performance parameters such as fuel flow rate, air flow rate, compressor and turbine efficiency, and exhaust gas temperature. These parameters are then used in equations such as the Brayton cycle to calculate the power output and efficiency of the gas turbine.

2. What factors affect the performance of a gas turbine?

The performance of a gas turbine can be affected by various factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, altitude, fuel quality, and maintenance conditions. These factors can impact the efficiency and power output of the turbine, and must be carefully monitored and controlled for optimal performance.

3. What is the difference between simple and combined cycle gas turbine performance?

A simple cycle gas turbine only uses the exhaust gases to generate power, while a combined cycle gas turbine also uses the waste heat from the exhaust gases to produce additional power through a steam turbine. This makes combined cycle gas turbines more efficient and have a higher overall performance compared to simple cycle gas turbines.

4. How can the performance of a gas turbine be improved?

The performance of a gas turbine can be improved through various methods such as upgrading components, improving maintenance practices, optimizing fuel and air flow rates, and implementing advanced control systems. Regular performance monitoring and analysis can also help identify areas for improvement and increase the overall efficiency of the gas turbine.

5. What are the common performance metrics used for gas turbines?

The most common performance metrics used for gas turbines include specific fuel consumption (SFC), heat rate, power output, thermal efficiency, and exhaust gas temperature. These metrics can be used to evaluate the performance of the turbine and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.