Electric current is found when Menthos is put in Coca cola

In summary: The menthos reaction is unevenly distributed in the bottle, and as the reaction proceeds it causes a fluctuating difference in electrolyte concentrations near the electrodes. When the reaction has ceased, does the current also appear to cease?"In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where Coca cola overflows when a Menthos candy is placed inside. The speaker replicated the experiment using a multimeter to measure the current and found that an electric current was generated. They ask if anyone can repeat the experiment to confirm their findings and mention that the reaction may be caused by the uneven distribution of the menthos in the bottle. They also question if the current stops when the reaction ceases.
thinh123
Few years ago, we have known about the phenomenon that Coca cola is overflow severely when a piece of Menthos candy is put inside.

I replicate this experiment, with a multimeter is used to measure the current. With my surprise, the needle vibrates to show that an electric current is generated.

Could anyone repeat my experiment to find out that if I am wrong or not

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
thinh123 said:
Few years ago, we have known about the phenomenon that Coca cola is overflow severely when a piece of Menthos candy is put inside.

I replicate this experiment, with a multimeter is used to measure the current. With my surprise, the needle vibrates to show that an electric current is generated.

Could anyone repeat my experiment to find out that if I am wrong or not

Thank you
I think a somewhat better description of what you did is needed. Where did you put the probes, what is the material of the probes, what is the range of the multimeter, etc.

Your observation is not unsurprising. Coke is acidic so will react with metal immersed in it. You expect to see a potential difference between immersed electrodes if there is a concentration difference in the electrolyte. The menthos reaction is unevenly distributed in the bottle, and as the reaction proceeds it causes a fluctuating difference in electrolyte concentrations near the electrodes.

When the reaction has ceased, does the current also appear to cease?

NascentOxygen said:
Your observation is [strike]not[/strike] unsurprising.

Correcting my own post.

for sharing your experiment and results. The phenomenon of an overflowing Coca Cola bottle when a Menthos candy is dropped in is a well-known demonstration of the effects of nucleation and gas release. However, the idea that this reaction could generate an electric current is not supported by scientific evidence.

When Menthos and Coca Cola mix, the candy's surface contains tiny pits and bumps that serve as nucleation sites for the dissolved carbon dioxide gas in the soda. As the gas is released, it creates a rapid increase in pressure inside the bottle, leading to the explosive overflow.

While this reaction may cause some movement in a needle on a multimeter, it is not generating a true electric current. A true electric current requires a continuous flow of charged particles, such as electrons, through a conducting material. The release of gas in the Menthos and Coca Cola reaction does not fit this definition.

I encourage others to replicate your experiment and see for themselves that an electric current is not generated. It is important for scientists to critically evaluate and replicate experiments to ensure accuracy and reliability of results. Thank you again for sharing your findings.

1. How does putting Mentos in Coca Cola create an electric current?

When Mentos candies are placed in a bottle of Coca Cola, a chemical reaction occurs between the candy's rough surface and the carbon dioxide gas in the soda. This reaction creates a large amount of carbon dioxide bubbles, which rapidly expand and push the liquid out of the bottle. The movement of the liquid creates a change in the electric charge, resulting in a temporary electric current.

2. Is the electric current generated by Mentos and Coca Cola safe?

The electric current created by Mentos and Coca Cola is very small and short-lived, making it safe for most people to experience. However, it is always important to use caution when conducting experiments involving electricity and to follow proper safety guidelines.

3. Can any type of soda or candy be used to create an electric current?

The combination of Mentos candies and Coca Cola has been found to produce the strongest electric current due to the specific ingredients and chemical reactions involved. However, similar experiments with other types of sodas and candies may also produce some level of electric current.

4. Why does the electric current from Mentos and Coca Cola only last for a short amount of time?

The electric current created by Mentos and Coca Cola is only temporary because it is a result of the chemical reaction between the candy and soda. Once the reaction has finished and all the gas has been released, the electric current will stop.

5. What other factors can affect the strength of the electric current produced by Mentos and Coca Cola?

The strength of the electric current can be affected by the number of Mentos used, the temperature of the soda, and the type of container used. The smoother the surface of the Mentos, the weaker the electric current may be. Additionally, using a larger bottle or increasing the amount of soda can also impact the strength of the current.