Looking to buy my first telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Millacol88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of different telescope options for beginners. The speaker is considering a Dobsonian telescope for its simplicity and cost-effectiveness, but also mentions the possibility of an EQ mount. They also discuss the size and storage limitations of the telescope, and consider purchasing a used telescope. Overall, the conversation recommends a Dobsonian telescope as the best choice for a first telescope.
Millacol88
Right so I'm looking to buy my first telescope and rather than start a thread I thought I'd post here. How does this look for a beginner telescope? Keeping in mind its my first and I really only want to look at the moon, some of the closer planets, and maybe some nearby galaxies or nebulae. I am not expecting Hubble-quality images, just to get started with the hobby. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Millacol88 said:
Right so I'm looking to buy my first telescope and rather than start a thread I thought I'd post here. How does this look for a beginner telescope? Keeping in mind its my first and I really only want to look at the moon, some of the closer planets, and maybe some nearby galaxies or nebulae. I am not expecting Hubble-quality images, just to get started with the hobby. Thoughts?

My opinion is that if you aren't going to use a computerized mount (AKA a GoTo Mount) then get a Dobsonian telescope, but after looking through 2 sites I can't seem to find one for the same price with the same aperture. This one here http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes.../c/12/sc/13/p/27160.uts?refineByCategoryId=13 comes with a barlow and some other stuff, but no eyepieces, so you may be better off getting the one you linked.

Also, if you head to astromart.com or the classified section of cloudynights.com you can probably snag a used scope that's similar for half the price.

I looked at that one, but it just seems to bulky to be practical at all. Why do you recommend a dobs over a regular reflector on an eq mount? Just curious.

Millacol88 said:
I looked at that one, but it just seems to bulky to be practical at all. Why do you recommend a dobs over a regular reflector on an eq mount? Just curious.
Dobs are simple. Newts on German Equatorial Mounts generally suffer from cost-savings on the mounts. Too light, too cheap, unable to bear the weight of the OTA properly. A decent OTA on a cheap, light mount will suffer from vibration, poor damping, etc, and generally be a pain to work with.

Millacol88 said:

Usually you get more aperture for the price, plus dobs are REALLY easy to use. EQ mounts are kind of weird to use at first, as you can simply move the scope up and down or left and right. Plus you have to polar align them a bit to use them correctly, but that isn't much of an issue once you do it a few times. The tube length is longer, but your EQ mount is going to be almost as much of an issue to move around and store. There's nothing wrong with the EQ mounted one though, and I think you'll be satisfied with it if you purchase it. It's a little easier to keep track of objects, as you only have to move the RA axis and many times the mounts come with a slow motion knob for this purpose. (At least that's what I've heard, I've never owned a non GoTo EQ mount)

For a first telescope, NOTHING beats a Dob in my opinion. It's the "point and shoot" of telescopes.

Edit: As Turbo said above, a good EQ mount usually cost a decent amount. While this particular one would probably work ok for you, I highly suggest a Dob, as it will be much more stable and easier to use. You won't be kicking the legs around in the dark and having to worry too terribly much about a little wind.

turbo said:
Dobs are simple. Newts on German Equatorial Mounts generally suffer from cost-savings on the mounts. Too light, too cheap, unable to bear the weight of the OTA properly. A decent OTA on a cheap, light mount will suffer from vibration, poor damping, etc, and generally be a pain to work with.

Honestly I probably wouldn't even notice any vibration until I got a second telescope that didn't have the same problem. :P I don't need perfection, just something a little bit cheaper and smaller than a dob.

Drakkith said:
Usually you get more aperture for the price, plus dobs are REALLY easy to use. EQ mounts are kind of weird to use at first, as you can simply move the scope up and down or left and right. Plus you have to polar align them a bit to use them correctly, but that isn't much of an issue once you do it a few times. The tube length is longer, but your EQ mount is going to be almost as much of an issue to move around and store. There's nothing wrong with the EQ mounted one though, and I think you'll be satisfied with it if you purchase it. It's a little easier to keep track of objects, as you only have to move the RA axis and many times the mounts come with a slow motion knob for this purpose. (At least that's what I've heard, I've never owned a non GoTo EQ mount)

For a first telescope, NOTHING beats a Dob in my opinion. It's the "point and shoot" of telescopes.

Edit: As Turbo said above, a good EQ mount usually cost a decent amount. While this particular one would probably work ok for you, I highly suggest a Dob, as it will be much more stable and easier to use. You won't be kicking the legs around in the dark and having to worry too terribly much about a little wind.

Right, I think I'll go with this one if you think the EQ mount would be bearable. Believe me, I gravitated towards Dobs immediately when I started looking at telescopes, but I just don't really have that much space to store it. At least the one I'm looking at has a relatively short tube and a collapsible tripod. Perhaps for my second scope a few years down the road I'll look at a 10" dob and try and make room for it. No reviews I've read on this one have mentioned any problems with the mount, just a little shaking/vibration.

Millacol88 said:
No reviews I've read on this one have mentioned any problems with the mount, just a little shaking/vibration.
"just"?

That's the primary complaint about mounts.

DaveC426913 said:
"just"?

That's the primary complaint about mounts.

Is it? As you can probably tell, I'm new at this. :P I wish I knew someone on here who owns this one so I could figure out how big of an issue it will be...

EDIT: Just curious Dave, would you recommend a dobs as well?

Last edited:

Millacol88 said:
Is it? As you can probably tell, I'm new at this. :P I wish I knew someone on here who owns this one so I could figure out how big of an issue it will be...

Let me put it this way. Any scope will make you happy if you've never owned one before. The one on the EQ mount looks like it takes up a little less floor space and is probably a tad lighter overall, so if your really pressed for space then it will be better. However the dob will be sturdier and easier to use. It's your scope, you buy what you want. I think you will be happy with either of them.

Well since it doesn't seem there are any enormous differences between the two, and I found my original one for cheaper and with better eyepieces, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one. Thanks everyone for your help!

Millacol88 said:

EDIT: Just curious Dave, would you recommend a dobs as well?

It is highly dependent on what you want. Dobs gives you great bang for your buck at the cost of awkwardness. For someone like me, who likes to haul his scope down to the lake where there's darker skies, it's not the best. Dobs have no tracking controls on their mounts, so you're freely wheeling the thing around the sky by the seat of your pants.

But for light-gathering ability (which is what you want in order to see dim objects), they cannot be beat.

Millacol88 said:
Well since it doesn't seem there are any enormous differences between the two, and I found my original one for cheaper and with better eyepieces, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that one. Thanks everyone for your help!

If you find the mount vibrates too much, you might try to improve the tripod legs as was done here. I did it on my son's '102 with great results. Looks a whole lot better too!

1. What factors should I consider when buying my first telescope?

When buying your first telescope, it is important to consider factors such as the aperture, focal length, and type of telescope (refractor, reflector, or catadioptric). The aperture, or diameter of the telescope's primary lens or mirror, determines how much light the telescope can gather and therefore affects the clarity and brightness of the images. The focal length, or distance between the primary lens or mirror and the eyepiece, determines the magnification power of the telescope. The type of telescope you choose will depend on your budget and viewing preferences.

2. What is the difference between a refractor, reflector, and catadioptric telescope?

A refractor telescope uses lenses to gather and focus light, while a reflector telescope uses mirrors. A catadioptric telescope combines both lenses and mirrors to gather and focus light. Refractor telescopes are typically more expensive but provide clearer images, while reflector telescopes are more affordable and better for viewing faint objects. Catadioptric telescopes are a good compromise between the two, offering a combination of clarity and affordability.

3. How much should I budget for my first telescope?

The cost of a telescope can vary greatly depending on its size, type, and brand. You can find basic beginner telescopes for under $100, but these may not provide the best quality images. A good rule of thumb is to budget at least $200 for a decent beginner telescope, but be prepared to spend more if you want higher quality images and more advanced features.

4. Do I need any additional accessories for my telescope?

Some telescopes come with basic accessories such as eyepieces and a tripod, but you may want to invest in additional accessories to enhance your viewing experience. These could include a Barlow lens for increased magnification, a moon filter to reduce glare, and a star chart or astronomy book to help you locate and identify celestial objects.

5. What is the best way to learn how to use my new telescope?

The best way to learn how to use your new telescope is through hands-on experience and practice. Start by familiarizing yourself with the different parts of your telescope and how to set it up properly. Then, experiment with different eyepieces and try viewing different objects in the sky. You can also join a local astronomy club or attend stargazing events to learn from more experienced telescope users and gain valuable tips and techniques.