Experimentally Determine the Mass

• Thread starter spacejam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the prelab assignment is to find two methods to determine an unknown mass and the student has three methods. One method is to use a force probe and a known mass to determine the μk, one is to use a spring and a force probe to determine the spring coefficient, and one is to use a force cart and a motion sensor to determine the impulse.
spacejam
My lab topic for tomorrow is to develop two ideas to experimentally determine an unknown mass. We are given a few known masses (I'm not sure how massive), and any materials that are found in most community college physics labs(e.g. force probes(with the little hooks on the ends), force probes(with the little magnets), springs, motion sensors, etc.).

The prelab assignment is to find two methods, and I have three, but fear the 3 hour lab period tomorrow might be dull if I only use these three.

Here are my methods in order of what I suppose are the most accurate:

1) Using a force probe(with the little hook on the end) and a known mass, determine the μk from dragging it across a surface. Use that determined coefficient drag the unknown mass across that same surface and get the mass.

2) Pick a spring capable of holding the unknown mass without warping, and use a force probe and a ruler to determine its spring coefficient. Use that coefficient to weigh the unknown mass.

3) Use a couple force carts(with magnets) and a motion sensor, determine the impulse (area under the force-time curve)and divide the impulse by the Δv. I have already done this method and it is finicky so I will try to avoid it.

That's all I can think of so far; if you have an idea and are not sure If we have covered it in class mention it anyways, and I'll read up on it in my physics book tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found out another method:

Using a two carts with velcro to mimic an inelastic collision, determine the mass of the carts using a method above. Using a motion sensor track the empty cart(m1)colliding with the other stationary cart with the unknown mass(m2), and assuming all momentum is conserved use: m1v1= (m1+m2)vf

You may want to modify slightly your method 1; Does the coefficient of friction depend only upon the "table" surface, or is it a property of both the table surface and the surface of the object at their areas of mutual contact? Hint: Think about two different objects being dragged across the same surface (say, a block of ice and a block of ice wrapped in sandpaper of the same mass).

Other possible areas to ponder include levers (balances), harmonic motions, centripetal forces.

gneill said:
You may want to modify slightly your method 1; Does the coefficient of friction depend only upon the "table" surface, or is it a property of both the table surface and the surface of the object at their areas of mutual contact? Hint: Think about two different objects being dragged across the same surface (say, a block of ice and a block of ice wrapped in sandpaper of the same mass).

Other possible areas to ponder include levers (balances), harmonic motions, centripetal forces.

Right, I would assume that both the unknown mass and known masses are similar enough metals to have the same coefficient.

I would first commend you on your thorough thinking and preparation for your lab. It is important to have multiple methods in mind when determining an unknown mass, as it allows for more accurate and reliable results.

In addition to the methods you have suggested, here are two more ideas for experimentally determining mass:

4) Use a balance scale with known masses on one side and the unknown mass on the other. By adjusting the known masses, you can find the balance point and determine the unknown mass.

5) Utilize the concept of conservation of momentum. Set up a collision between two objects, one with a known mass and the other with the unknown mass. Measure the velocities before and after the collision and use the equations for conservation of momentum to calculate the unknown mass.

I encourage you to do some research and see if there are any other methods that might be applicable to your lab. It's always beneficial to have more options and to think outside the box. Good luck with your lab tomorrow!

What is the purpose of experimentally determining the mass?

The purpose of experimentally determining the mass is to accurately measure the amount of matter present in an object or substance. This can provide important information for various scientific experiments and calculations.

What are the common methods used to experimentally determine mass?

The most common methods used to experimentally determine mass include weighing an object on a balance, measuring the displacement of water when an object is submerged, and using a mass spectrometer.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

How can experimental errors affect the accuracy of mass determination?

Experimental errors, such as human error or equipment malfunction, can affect the accuracy of mass determination. These errors can lead to incorrect measurements and therefore impact the overall accuracy of the results.

What factors can influence the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be influenced by its size, density, and composition. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also affect the mass of an object.