Electric Field Due to Dipole Problem

In summary, the magnitude of the resulting electric field for the given electric dipole can be expressed as kqd/[(d^2/4)+x^2)]3/2, after considering the x and y components of the electric fields and using the appropriate equations.
Renaldo

Homework Statement

Consider the following figure.

dipole.jpg

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

Homework Equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Renaldo said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following figure.

dipole.jpg

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

Homework Equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.

For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.

Dick said:
For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.

Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?

Renaldo said:
Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?

Looks ok to me.

Dick said:
Looks ok to me.

All right. Thanks. Webassign doesn't like the answer but I feel confident in the math. Could be a problem with Webassign.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can also refer to a molecule that has a positive and negative end due to differences in electron distribution.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a dipole?

The electric field due to a dipole is calculated using the equation E = 1/(4πε0) * (p/r3 - 3(p•r)r/r5), where p is the dipole moment, r is the distance from the dipole, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the direction of the electric field for a dipole?

The electric field for a dipole points from the negative charge towards the positive charge.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the dipole increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the dipole increases, following an inverse square law. This means that the field is stronger closer to the dipole and weaker further away.

5. What is the relationship between the dipole moment and the strength of the electric field?

The dipole moment is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the dipole moment increases, the electric field also increases.