Designing a Discus Rotator: Motor Solutions

In summary: I also don't know what kind of motor to use to rotate the shaft. I went to Fry's but their motors looked to weak to power it. Anyone know a site I can buy a motor that can get the job done for me?This rotational test part is a great idea! I think you could use a small fan motor and a speed controller to power it. You could also use a bigger fan motor if you wanted it to spin faster.
dt1156
Hey guys looking to design something that will rotate a 2kg discus in place. I attached a simple schematic of what it will look like. I also don't know what kind of motor to use to rotate the shaft. I went to Fry's but their motors looked to weak to power it. Anyone know a site I can buy a motor that can get the job done for me?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 363
Engineering news on Phys.org
dt1156 said:
Hey guys looking to design something that will rotate a 2kg discus in place. I attached a simple schematic of what it will look like. I also don't know what kind of motor to use to rotate the shaft. I went to Fry's but their motors looked to weak to power it. Anyone know a site I can buy a motor that can get the job done for me?

Hi dt1156! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

One major omission in your specifications: the speed range over which you wish to spin it. Also, would be worth pointing out your discus's diameter.

Are you planning mains operation, or a low voltage? My first thought is a ceiling fan motor and speed controller, but take great care, because a smooth discus is going to offer far less resistance than a big fan, so the discus will have a much faster top speed. This could be dangerous.

To what purpose will you put this spinning disc?

Last edited by a moderator:
A fan is a good idea. My first thought was to hit a surplus store or scrapyard and grab an old vinyl record turntable. You already have 2 or maybe 3 mechanically selectable speeds, with the option of adding an electronic controller. It has the advantage of needing only a restraint such as a couple of straps or some Velcro as opposed to an entire mounting system.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi dt1156! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

One major omission in your specifications: the speed range over which you wish to spin it. Also, would be worth pointing out your discus's diameter.

Are you planning mains operation, or a low voltage? My first thought is a ceiling fan motor and speed controller, but take great care, because a smooth discus is going to offer far less resistance than a big fan, so the discus will have a much faster top speed. This could be dangerous.

To what purpose will you put this spinning disc?
The discus's diameter is 9in, 5/16" screw size and weights 2kg and round shape. I've included a picture of a discus that looks very similar to mine. The point of this design is to create a test to gather data from the discus while it is in rotation without having anyone actually throw it. This is a group project where my group will be placing an acceleramator inside the discus and a programming a microcontroller to convert the acceleration readings into the distance the discus traveled. I'm just designing this rotational test part.

Attachments

• 269-ote-very-high-moment-2203.jpg
    269-ote-very-high-moment-2203.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 365
... One major omission in your specifications: the speed range over which you wish to spin it. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif [Broken]

Not much faster than the average rotational speed of a discus thrown by a olympic athelte. I couldn't find any measurements of a discus thrown by olympians so I asked my group and someone took a guess at around 10 revolutions per sec which is around 62 rad/s.

1. What type of motor is best for a discus rotator?

The ideal motor for a discus rotator would be a high-torque brushless DC motor. This type of motor is efficient, has a long lifespan, and can provide the necessary torque for a smooth and consistent rotation.

2. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my discus rotator?

The size of the motor needed will depend on the weight of the discus and the desired speed of rotation. Generally, a motor with a torque rating of at least 0.3 Nm and a speed of 1000-1500 RPM should be sufficient for most discus rotators.

3. Can I use a regular AC motor for my discus rotator?

It is not recommended to use a regular AC motor for a discus rotator. AC motors are not designed for continuous rotation and may not provide enough torque for consistent and smooth rotation. Additionally, AC motors require more complex control systems and can be more difficult to integrate into a discus rotator design.

4. Should I use a gear reduction system for my discus rotator?

A gear reduction system can be beneficial for a discus rotator, especially if the motor does not have a high torque rating. The gear reduction system can help increase the torque output and provide a smoother and more controlled rotation. However, it is not essential and can add complexity and cost to the design.

5. How can I ensure the motor is safely and accurately controlled for the discus rotator?

The motor can be controlled using a motor controller, which can regulate the speed and direction of rotation. It is important to choose a reliable and high-quality motor controller, and to properly program and test it to ensure safe and accurate control of the discus rotator. Additionally, safety measures such as emergency stop buttons and limit switches can be implemented to prevent any accidents.