Solve Fusion Energy Equation: High School Physics Errors

In summary, the conversation discusses conflicting information about the equations used to calculate energy released in nuclear reactions. The first set of equations has a factor of c^2 that is incorrect, while the second set of equations has the correct factor. The definition of binding energy can also be confusing, as a larger binding energy means the nucleus has less energy. The conversation also includes an example from a textbook, which uses the principle of (mi-mf) to calculate the energy released when three Helium-4 nuclei combine to form a carbon-12 nucleus. However, when explaining the process, it uses (mf-mi) to calculate the change in energy, which can be confusing as a larger mass corresponds to a smaller binding energy.
Kemilss
I'm taking high school physics, and I've had problems in the past with flat out errors in my textbook (I've brought them up here). It's incredibly frustrating when your trying to understand something.

Anyways, I need to know which is right:

The text in my book goes through to explain,

energy released = (Eb(f) - Eb(i))C^2

or Change in E=(Mf - Mi)C^2

Fine. This gives me a negative answer, which has already given me headaches, but these turned into a eureka moment for me when I realized this was "less energy" required to be stable, or binding energy.

So now, the textbook goes on to do more then 1 example, and in all of them it's,

energy released = (Eb(i) - Eb(f))C^2

or Change in E=(Mi - Mf).

These give different answers. This website say's

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/Nuclear/Energy_of_Nuclear_Change.htm

and Physics forums has this example

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241916

Both contradict each other, or am I wrong?!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't comment on your specific examples, since I don't know what they are referring to. However in any (nuclear) reaction where there is a mass difference, the difference ends up as energy with E = mc2. If the reaction involves a loss of mass, the energy is positive. If the reaction has a gain in mass, it means energy has to be supplied to make it happen.

Likes 1 person
The definition of binding energy can be confusing, as binding energy is a positive value, but a larger binding energy means the nucleus has less energy.

The first set of equations is right apart from the factor of c^2 in the first line.

hmm, I'm still a little confused. Here's an example straight out of my book.

"Calculate the energy released when three Helium-4 nuclei combine to form a carbon-12 nucleus"

Book example follows the principle (mi-mf)

or: (3*4.002603u - 12u) = 0.007809u

However, when it is explaining the process, it explains that (mf - mi) = (change in)E

or: (12u - 3*4.002603u) = -.007809u

Those are the actual nuclei masses, not the binding energies.

A larger mass corresponds to a smaller binding energy, so there you have to take the opposite difference.

See mathman, calculate the mass before and after the reaction, that is the easiest way to see what happens.

Likes 1 person

1. What is fusion energy and why is it important?

Fusion energy is a form of energy that is created by combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. It is the same process that powers the sun and other stars. Fusion energy is important because it has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy.

2. What is the fusion energy equation and how is it solved?

The fusion energy equation, also known as the Lawson criterion, is a mathematical equation that calculates the minimum conditions necessary for a sustained fusion reaction. It is solved by finding the balance between the rate of energy released by the fusion reaction and the rate at which the plasma loses energy.

3. What are some common high school physics errors when solving the fusion energy equation?

Some common high school physics errors when solving the fusion energy equation include not properly accounting for all variables, using incorrect units, and not understanding the relationships between the different variables in the equation.

4. How can these errors be avoided when solving the fusion energy equation?

To avoid common errors when solving the fusion energy equation, it is important to carefully review all variables and units, double check calculations, and seek guidance from a teacher or expert if needed. It is also helpful to have a thorough understanding of the underlying physics principles involved in the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the fusion energy equation?

The fusion energy equation has many real-world applications, including in the design and development of fusion reactors, which aim to harness fusion energy for electricity production. It is also used in research and experiments to study and understand fusion reactions, as well as in the development of new technologies and materials for fusion energy production.