Absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions

by Raezeman
Tags: absorption, cross, hydrogen, ions, sections
Share this thread:
Raezeman
Jul9-14, 08:08 AM
P: 5
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with. At first i thought finding this on the web was easy, but turns out to not be trivial at all. If you can help me, i also need the (reliable) source where it comes from, a value alone will help me for a brief moment, but will bring me back to the problem in the long run (i think the scientific community will burn me if i try to publish something like 'i got this value from someone on an online physics forum')
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
Experiments explain why some liquids are 'fragile' and others are 'strong'
rigetFrog
Jul9-14, 09:06 AM
P: 109
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/...ogentable2.htm

you may thank me profusely
Raezeman
Jul9-14, 09:14 AM
euhm, this chart seems to just give spectral lines of hydrogen, while what i need are absorption cross sections, i.e. the measure of probability that the hydrogen ion absorbs a photon, this being dependent on the wavelength. I need this for a specific set of photon wavelenghts, one of which being 656.28 angstum (the Halpha line)

rigetFrog
Jul9-14, 09:33 AM
P: 109
Absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions

oops
snorkack
Jul9-14, 11:27 AM
P: 386
Quote Quote by Raezeman View Post
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with.
Um, H alpha is the line for neutral hydrogen atom, not positive hydrogen ion!
Raezeman
Jul10-14, 03:18 AM
ok wait, i'm getting confused, or mixing up my basic physics, so let me go more broad:
Let's say we have a postiive hydrogen ion being radiated by light with a very broad wavelength range. What wavelengths will get absorbed and what is the corresponding absorption cross section?

Register to reply