Interested in Astrophotography? Check Out My Site!

In summary, the conversation was about a website showcasing astrophotography and requesting feedback on the design. The website, www.russsscope.net, was praised for its clean and minimalist layout and visually appealing photos of Saturn, Mars, and the moon. Suggestions were made to keep the website simple and informative like APOD, and to include a picture of the entire telescope setup. Some technical issues were also mentioned, but overall the website was well-received.
russ_watters
Mentor
Yes, I know, shameless spam. Anyway, I've finally put up a site of my astrophotography. I'd like some feedback about the design, as I'm not a very creative person...

www.russsscope.net

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow, that's pretty cool. Those saturn pictures are awesome. If I had to date a planet I'd date Saturn.

Thanks - it's a stretch, but are you thinking the rings look like boobs?

I don't care for stretched boobs.

If there was a planet or star in that man's hand(I guess that's you), it looked better!

nice site ^_^

Those are some amazing pics! I love the moon ones.

Really cool! I wish I had a good telescope...

Geek. :tongue:

Beautiful photos though. I was thinking of getting a half-decent telescope and camera mount, but found something else to spend my money on instead...

The site looks excellent. Are you a member of any astronomy clubs in your area or do you just dabble alone?

Your pics are nice Russ.
The site also looks good. Pretty clean and minimalist.
The link to your links page was dead when I tried it. Might just be my computer though.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The link to your links page was dead when I tried it. Might just be my computer though.

I'm getting a "Not Found" too.

Great site Russ. I especially love your "Deep space" pics.

Last edited:
Very nice stuff russ. I like those Mars shots, much better than the naked eye views I've ever gotten of it. And of course, Saturn is amazing to see.

russ_watters said:
(snip)... as I'm not a very creative person...
www.russsscope.net

Clearly "not creative" --- legible font, readable color against a contrasting background, pictures labelled and in order --- even I can find my way around and understand what I'm seeing.

Nice site. I added it to my favourites, and I'll see the progress in the time to come. :)

TheStatutoryApe said:
Your pics are nice Russ.
The site also looks good. Pretty clean and minimalist.
Yeah, that's me - can't tell I'm an engineer, can you?
No, I haven't made that page yet. But PF will be on top when I do...
The site looks excellent. Are you a member of any astronomy clubs in your area or do you just dabble alone?
Thanks - no, I'm not a member of any clubs, though I really should find one to join.
Bystander said:
Clearly "not creative" --- legible font, readable color against a contrasting background, pictures labelled and in order --- even I can find my way around and understand what I'm seeing.
Yeah, that's the benefit of simplicity - I wish I could say that was intentional, but I think I'd be more creative if I could be.

Please don't get too artsy --- it has deleterious effects on political positions.

Nice pics Russ, and that's one of the better pics of you too - you look like a cool :cool: engineer (not nerdy or geeky).

I agree with Bystander, don't make it too artsy. Keep it simple and informative, maybe like APOD with picture and description of the image.

Well, since I'm pretty minimalist myself, I like the site! Very cool! Of all of the pictures, so far I really like the ones of the moon best with all the detail! Amazing!

That thumbnail of your set-up with the umbrella to shield you from the floodlight gets and error 404 when I click for a larger image. You should visit me sometime with your equipment...I'm sure we can find some good locations for you that don't have much background light (even if it means standing in the middle of a cow pasture :biggrin:). One thing that really struck me when I moved here is that the sky was amazingly clear at night! And there's very little light pollution around (or you can get away from it quickly enough). One night, I thought one of the neighbors had left their back patio floodlights on, there was such bright light shining in my patio door...I looked around and realized with the sky so clear, it was all moonlight! :bugeye: (And, yeah, oddly enough, I thought of you when I noticed this.) You might be able to get some fantastic moon pictures around here.

Maybe when spring comes along and the winter clouds clear away (it's been cloudy a lot since the middle of November), you should visit and see what you can see out here. I'm only a few hours away now.

Great work, Russ. Now if only your political outlook was as clear as your photography... :uhh:

Astronuc said:
Nice pics Russ, and that's one of the better pics of you too - you look like a cool :cool: engineer (not nerdy or geeky).
Thanks - actually, I'm not a big fan of the pic - besides the little bit of a grimace, because of the angle (looking up at Jupiter), I'm looking down at the camera, and it makes me look like I have an extra chin! :grumpy:
Moonbear said:
That thumbnail of your set-up with the umbrella to shield you from the floodlight gets and error 404 when I click for a larger image.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
You should visit me sometime with your equipment...
See, that's the best thing about this hobby - the chicks dig it. :biggrin: I may take you up on that offer, Moonbear.

russ_watters said:
TSee, that's the best thing about this hobby - the chicks dig it. :biggrin: I may take you up on that offer, Moonbear.
:rofl: At least us geeky chicks anyway. :biggrin:

I like the site alot. It's visually easy to take in and easy to get around.

The shots through the telescope are really great. I have a small scope and when I look at saturn all I get is something like your first attempt. It's nice to see the much better, more detailed shots of that, and mars.

1. What is astrophotography?

Astrophotography is the art of capturing images of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and nebulae using a camera and telescope.

2. How do you take astrophotography photos?

Astrophotography photos are typically taken using a DSLR camera attached to a telescope or camera lens. The camera is then pointed at the desired object in the night sky and a long exposure is taken to capture the faint light of the object.

3. What equipment is needed for astrophotography?

To take quality astrophotography photos, you will need a DSLR camera, a telescope or camera lens with a long focal length, a sturdy tripod or equatorial mount, and various accessories such as filters, remote shutter release, and a laptop for control and image processing.

4. How do you edit astrophotography photos?

Astrophotography photos are often edited using specialized software such as Adobe Photoshop or DeepSkyStacker. This allows for adjusting the brightness and contrast, removing noise, and combining multiple exposures to create a final image.

5. What are some tips for beginner astrophotographers?

Some tips for beginner astrophotographers include starting with basic equipment, practicing in a dark and clear location, using a tracking mount to prevent star trailing, and learning basic image processing techniques. It is also helpful to join online communities and forums to learn from experienced astrophotographers.