Can you recommend a good book?

• Thread starter New Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
It covers the main concepts and theories of physics without getting too bogged down in historical background or oversimplified analogies. It also presents the current theories and open questions in a clear and understandable manner, making it a great resource for those looking to enhance their understanding of the universe. Other recommended books include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.
New Guy
Can anyone recommend a good physics book for those of us who don’t have the time or opportunity to go back to school?

Preferably, such a book won’t waste scads of chapters reciting yet again the history of what scientists used to think, reiterating little biographies of the various scientists, and restating the long progression of how we got to where we are. And it won’t present the physics in easily-understood but incorrect “lies we tell children” analogies.

What I’m looking for is something that (1) states what we really do know about what the universe is made of and how it all works (or at least are mostly in agreement on), and that (2) sets forth the things we don’t yet know or understand, and that (3) presents the main ideas on those things we haven’t yet figured out.

All the popularized physics books I’ve seen have too much fluff and not enough stuff. And the more in-depth books I’ve seen presume a lot of knowledge that the vast majority of college-educated adults like me just don’t have.

There’s got to be something out there like what I’m looking for, though. I just haven’t seen it. So, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall D. Knight.

1. What genre do you recommend for a good book?

I would recommend considering your personal preferences and interests when selecting a genre. If you enjoy fantasy, I would suggest books by authors like J.R.R. Tolkien or George R.R. Martin. If you prefer non-fiction, you may enjoy books by authors like Malcolm Gladwell or Bill Bryson.

2. What makes a book "good" in your opinion?

In my opinion, a good book is one that captivates the reader, has a well-developed plot, and leaves a lasting impact. It may also have well-written characters, thought-provoking themes, and a unique writing style.

3. Can you recommend a book based on my reading level?

I would need more information about your reading level, such as your age and previous reading experiences, to make an accurate recommendation. However, if you are looking for an easy read, I would suggest books labeled as "young adult" or "light reads."

4. How do I find a book that is similar to one I have already read and enjoyed?

You can try using book recommendation websites or databases, such as Goodreads or Amazon, to find books that are similar to ones you have enjoyed. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or visit your local library and ask a librarian for suggestions.

5. Are there any classic books that you would recommend?

There are many classic books that I would recommend, depending on your interests. Some popular choices include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, and "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I would also suggest exploring the classics section at your local library or bookstore to discover other great reads.