Exploring a Name Change: Math Is Hard II

In summary, Barbie's voice box said "Math is hard" and people were upset because she turned play into superficial consumerism. Teen Talk Barbie proved to be the final straw, and people started to dislike Barbie even more.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I don't really know what MIH's name is all about, but I think i should change my name to math is hard II. I hate math, math hurts my brain :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
You hurt my brain, because I end up doing your math.

Heh, read it all here.

http://www.sniggle.net/barbie.php

Teen Talk Barbie proved to be the final straw. People who were already upset at Barbie’s anorexic figure and her way of turning play into superficial consumerism couldn’t believe their ears when Barbie’s electric voice box giggled:

“Math is hard!”

I never got it till I was told either. I guess I should have played with Barbies when I was growing up like all the other boys.

Edit: MIH determined that a migraine caused by trying to do calculus should be called a "Newtonian." It can be quite debilitating, I understand.

Last edited:
aww.. Pengwuino. It's nothing we can't fix here. You're the smartest penguin I ever met. Don't stress about it. If a dumb-butt like me can get through all the calc and stat classes it will be no sweat for a super-smartie like you! oh, want to hear something crazy? I am actually tutoring someone in a "Statistics for Psychology" class this quarter.

Math Is Hard said:
aww.. Pengwuino. It's nothing we can't fix here. You're the smartest penguin I ever met. Don't stress about it. If a dumb-butt like me can get through all the calc and stat classes it will be no sweat for a super-smartie like you! oh, want to hear something crazy? I am actually tutoring someone in a "Statistics for Psychology" class this quarter.

But I'm the only penguin you know! Which means I'm also the dumbest!

Pengwuino said:
But I'm the only penguin you know! Which means I'm also the dumbest!
No, that's not true. I know many penguins. And most can't even do simple Riemann sums. If you ask them, they'll just chew on their feet, or look at you funny and then dive into the water.

I push penguins into the water to see if there are sea leopards lurking beneath the ice pack.

Chronos said:
I push penguins into the water to see if there are sea leopards lurking beneath the ice pack.
:frown: I mean that works but...

Have you seen the smart penguin from japan on real tv? He had his own backpack, and he would walk himself to the fish market. The people at the fish market would put a fish in his backpack to take back home for his owner, and they would give him fresh fish to eat too! Then he would waddle back home and give the owner his fish. He would just go walking down the street. LOL! He even had his own a/c pet house. He would go in it and stay cool all day long. :cool: I'd like to see a stupid dog do that.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Have you seen the smart penguin from japan on real tv? He had his own backpack, and he would walk himself to the fish market. The people at the fish market would put a fish in his backpack to take back home for his owner, and they would give him fresh fish to eat too! Then he would waddle back home and give the owner his fish. He would just go walking down the street. LOL! He even had his own a/c pet house. He would go in it and stay cool all day long. :cool: I'd like to see a stupid dog do that.

I SO want one of those. That'd be awesome.

cyrusabdollahi said:

:!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)

or just change it to MIE, or Math Is Easy

gravenewworld said:
or just change it to MIE, or Math Is Easy

I AM NOT! :redface: :mad: I'm a nice girl. o:)

cyrusabdollahi said:
I couldn't find the movie but I found some pictures of the little guy here:

http://blog.case.edu/nsf2/2005/09/27/pet_penguin_in_japan_travels_to_fish_market

penguin1.jpg

don't penguins look remarkably like people in penguin suits?! even when i watched March of the Penguins, i couldn't help but think they were just humans in penguin costumes. seriously, those are funny looking birds.

anyway, i never knew that was how MIH got her name. that's really funny. poor barbie and her inability to handle anything more complex than coordinating outfits.

Gale said:
don't penguins look remarkably like people in penguin suits?! even when i watched March of the Penguins, i couldn't help but think they were just humans in penguin costumes. seriously, those are funny looking birds.
:rofl: That's an interesting perspective...penguins look just like people in penguin costumes. :rofl:

anyway, i never knew that was how MIH got her name. that's really funny. poor barbie and her inability to handle anything more complex than coordinating outfits.
My poor Barbies could never even handle that. They were always losing one of every pair of shoes, so would have to wear two different colors, and then there was the one with the REALLY BAD haircut (safety scissors don't really cut hair very easily o:)), and then the Barbie who tried using permanent markers for make-up :rolleyes:. Oh, and that doesn't count all the ones who kept losing their head or snapping off arms and legs (the Barbie hospital always had a very busy ER...oh, and you can't glue Barbie arms back on with baby powder mixed with water...it looked like paste, but didn't work like paste :redface:). Oh, and there was the one with a sawed-off hand because I wanted to see if she had bones. :uhh: There was some sort of plastic "skeleton" in there. :biggrin: Who needed brothers? o:)

moonbear... wow...

i was never so sadistic with my barbies, but there were a few accidents... my very first barbie had her head fall off, but we stuck it back on, and i would make her wheelchairs and just say she had a spinal injury. my one ken had his fingertips chewed off by my dogs, but we just said he was injured in the war. Ballerina barbie's adjustable feet snapped off, but she just wore knee high boots from then on. and dancing fun barbie had her extra bendy leg fall off at the knee, but she just wore a cast (made of tissue and tape) and her husband ken would always help carry her around. thankfully doctor barbie was very good at her work. my barbies still lived very normal lives filled with taxes and high school reunions and household remodeling.

and anyway, penguins REALLY DO look like people in penguin costumes! you see the way the walk? they look like people in a silly costume that won't let their legs move very well!

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring a Name Change: Math Is Hard II"?

The purpose of "Exploring a Name Change: Math Is Hard II" is to investigate the potential impact of changing the name of the subject "Math Is Hard" to something more positive and inclusive. This study aims to explore how a name change could potentially improve students' attitudes towards math and their academic performance.

2. Who is conducting this study?

This study is being conducted by a team of researchers and scientists in the field of education and psychology. They have designed a comprehensive research plan and will gather data from various sources to analyze the impact of a name change on students' perceptions of math.

3. What are the possible reasons for changing the name of "Math Is Hard"?

Some possible reasons for changing the name of "Math Is Hard" could be to address the negative connotations associated with the subject, to make it more inclusive and welcoming to students of all backgrounds and abilities, and to improve students' attitudes and motivation towards math.

4. How will the data be collected for this study?

The data for this study will be collected through various methods such as surveys, interviews, and academic records of students before and after the name change. The researchers will also gather data from teachers and parents to get a comprehensive understanding of the impact of the name change.

5. What are the potential outcomes of this study?

The potential outcomes of this study could include a better understanding of the impact of a name change on students' attitudes towards math, potential improvements in academic performance, and insights into how language and labeling can affect students' perception of a subject. This study could also inform future discussions on the importance of inclusive and positive language in education.