Statistics problem dealing with attendance

• Thread starter jaymode
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, 4 students attended all three concerts: Pep Band, Country Sizzle, and Blue Mood. Out of the 100 students who attended at least one concert, 48 heard the Pep Band concert, 36 heard the Country Sizzle concert, and 60 heard the Blue Mood concert. 12 heard the Pep Band and Country Sizzle concerts, 20 heard the Country Sizzle and Blue Mood concerts, and 16 heard the Pep Band and Blue Mood concerts. By subtracting and adding these numbers, we can determine that 4 students attended all three concerts.
jaymode
One hundred students attended at least one of three concerts: Pep Band, Country Sizzle, and Blue Mood. 48 heard the Pep Band concert. 36 heard the Country Sizzle concert. 60 heard the Blue Mood concert. 12 heard the Pep Band and Country Sizzle concerts. 20 heard the Country Sizzle and Blue Mood concerts. 16 heard the Pep Band and Blue Mood concerts. How many attended all three concerts?

Ok So I broke it down. The max number of people that could attend all three would be 12 since that is how many attened the Pep Band and Country Sizzle which is the least number. I do not really know how to proceed on this problem. If I had to guess my answer would be 4 attended all 3 because there is a difference of 4 between 12, 16, and 20. Also when adding those together you get 48. Then adding the others together and subtracting 100 you get 44, once again a difference of 4. But I am faily certain that is not the correct way to approach the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I have no idea what your reasoning is but 4 is the correct answer. Draw a Venn diagram to help you visualize it, and add and subtract to find the intersection of the 3 concerts.

1. How is attendance typically measured in statistics?

In statistics, attendance is typically measured by the number of individuals present at a particular event, meeting, or class. This can be recorded as either a count of the total number of attendees or as a percentage of the total number of expected attendees.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing attendance data in statistics?

The purpose of analyzing attendance data in statistics is to gain insight into patterns and trends related to attendance. This can help in making informed decisions about scheduling, resource allocation, and overall event planning.

3. How is attendance data usually represented in statistical analysis?

Attendance data is typically represented in statistical analysis through tables, charts, and graphs. These visual representations can provide a clear and concise overview of attendance patterns and trends.

4. What are some common methods for analyzing attendance data in statistics?

Some common methods for analyzing attendance data in statistics include descriptive statistics, such as mean, median, and mode, as well as inferential statistics, such as t-tests and ANOVA. Other techniques, such as time series analysis and regression, can also be useful for analyzing attendance data.

5. How can attendance data be used to make predictions in statistics?

Attendance data can be used to make predictions in statistics by identifying patterns and trends in previous attendance data and using this information to forecast future attendance. This can be particularly useful for event planning and resource allocation.