Google Fun: "Failure" Search & "I'm Feeling Lucky

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Google
In summary, the conversation discusses the humor and manipulation behind Google searches and the use of Googlebombing. The group mentions various words that bring up unexpected results when clicked on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, such as "failure," "idiot," and "liar." They also mention the potential use of viruses or spyware to manipulate search results.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, here's a funny thing to try with Google. Do a search for the word "failure", and then click "I'm Feeling Lucky". See what happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Mattson said:
Hey, here's a funny thing to try with Google. Do a search for the word "failure", and then click "I'm Feeling Lucky". See what happens.
That's funny.

Hmm, I don't get it!

:rofl: how true

yeah, seen that one. wasn't this mentioned on here before? the whole google bombing thing i think... i forget now. but the humor is kinda taken out when you know why it happens.

try "idiot"

Ivan Seeking said:
try "idiot"
Not that fun, I was able to click the button many times

yomamma said:
Not that fun, I was able to click the button many times
It took me about two or three seconds to realize that all you have to do is hold down the button on the mouse to keep it from running away. I guess that's cheating though.

Look for "French Military Victories" and click i am feeling lucky

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, these are due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlebombing" [Broken]

Try "liar" and I'm feeling lucky.

siddharth said:
Yep, these are due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlebombing" [Broken]

Try "liar" and I'm feeling lucky.
Aha... Something like this may have been the secondary purpose of a virus that I picked up once. The virus or spyware, I'm not exactly sure which, would make you computer automatically turn certain words you posted on forums and sent in messages into links to sites for companies that provided services in relation to those words.

1. What is the purpose of the "Failure" search on Google?

The "Failure" search on Google is a fun Easter egg feature that was introduced in 2006 as a response to a popular meme referencing former US President George W. Bush. It was created as a way for users to easily find humorous and entertaining search results related to the word "failure".

2. How does the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button work on Google?

The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google bypasses the search results page and takes the user directly to the first website that appears for their search query. This feature is meant to save time for users who are confident that the first result will be the most relevant and useful for their search.

3. Can I customize the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google?

Unfortunately, the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button cannot be customized on Google. However, there are several browser extensions and add-ons that allow users to customize the button and redirect it to a website of their choice.

4. Are there any other fun search features on Google?

Yes, there are several other fun search features on Google, including the "Do a barrel roll" and "Zerg Rush" Easter eggs. There is also a "Google Gravity" trick that makes all the items on the page fall to the bottom, and a "Google in 1998" feature that takes you back to the original Google search interface.

5. Can I turn off the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google?

Yes, the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button can be turned off on Google. Users can go to their Google Search Settings and uncheck the box next to "Instant predictions" to turn it off. This will also disable other instant features, such as autocomplete and instant results.