What is the Diet Coke and Mentos experiment?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cannon
In summary, CNN has reported that there are approximately 400 videos of the popular soda and mentos experiment on the internet. The conversation discusses the effectiveness and safety of the experiment, as well as the possibility of it becoming newsworthy. Some participants have even tried the experiment themselves with varying results.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty awesome!

I wouldn't want to do it though. It's a waste of a 2 litre soda and box of mentos.

the best clip i ever saw of that was on the discovery channel in Canada. some physicist or chemist explained that it had somehting to do with the surface area of the thing you drop into the pop, making a good place for lots of bubbles to form. i think he used some gum he chewed up & somehow put the cap back on the bottle fast enough before it blew. there was a little hole in the cap so pop sprayed everywhere & it lasted a good 20-30 seconds.

Okay, it looks like a fun thing to do as a demo for a bunch of kids, but is it newsworthy? Why is CNN reporting on it? Is Homeland Security about to crack down on kids buying soda and mentos together? :biggrin:

It's not newsworthy until it's turned into http://media.revver.com/broadcast/27335/video.mov/13970" [Broken].

I must say, Ivan... that second link has just about the most annoying sound-track I've ever heard.

Danger said:
I must say, Ivan... that second link has just about the most annoying sound-track I've ever heard.

I never had the sound turned on. Yep, sounds like a used car commercial.

Heheh. My ex boyfriend and his best friend used to do it all the time, I found it annoying and slightly immature, but eh. It's actually sort of amusing, watching it, though...

Still. It's not big enough for CNN to be reporting on it...

What the hecky thump are mentos, will it work with trebor mints?

DaveC426913 said:
It's not newsworthy until it's turned into http://media.revver.com/broadcast/27335/video.mov/13970" [Broken].
Neato! That was almost Blue-Man-Groupesque.

I had the best time at work.

I brought a 2 litre bottle of Coke out back, and opened. I got one of the younger guys who work there. I told him... "Put as many mentos as you can in the bottle." Then he was like... "What happens?" Then I just responded... "It does a cool fizz."

So he shoved a whole bunch in and flew in the air all over the place. A HUGE mess all over the back room. I laughed! Hilarious!

Next time I work, I'll get a kid to do in the aisle where the customers are.

Note: Yes, I'm bad.

JasonRox said:
Next time I work...
Wow! You Canadians have real flexible work schedules, wot?

How is it safe to drink soda and eat these things?

cyrusabdollahi said:

Not sure, but I was close to finding out.

Since I wasn't sure I didn't get anyone to do because it can be unsafe. The kid did eat Mentos and then drank some Coke. It seems to fizz right away and possibly leak out of your mouth.

We once got a kid to drink 2 litres of soda in 2 minutes. Not sure what would happen if he ate some mentos! :eek:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Pretty safe.

[MEDIA=youtube]LRBkQe_lwak[/MEDIA][/URL]

Gokul43201 said:
Pretty safe.

[MEDIA=youtube]LRBkQe_lwak[/MEDIA][/URL][/QUOTE]

There is a video on Google of someone who actually does it. It seems to shoot out soda out of mouth continuously for like 5 seconds at a range of approx. 10 feet.

1. How does the Diet Coke and Mentos cannon work?

The Diet Coke and Mentos cannon works through a chemical reaction between the carbon dioxide in the soda and the surface of the Mentos candy. When the Mentos is dropped into the bottle of Diet Coke, it creates nucleation points, causing the carbon dioxide to rapidly escape in the form of bubbles, resulting in a powerful eruption.

2. Can any type of soda be used for the cannon?

Yes, any type of soda that contains carbon dioxide can be used for the cannon. However, the reaction may vary depending on the specific soda used, as some may have a higher or lower concentration of carbon dioxide.

3. How many Mentos should be used for the best explosion?

The number of Mentos used can vary depending on the size of the bottle and personal preference. However, generally, 7-8 Mentos dropped into a 2-liter bottle of soda will result in the most impressive explosion.

4. Is the Diet Coke and Mentos cannon safe?

The Diet Coke and Mentos cannon can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to wear protective eyewear and to stand at a safe distance when conducting the experiment. Additionally, it is not recommended to consume the soda after the eruption.

5. Can the Diet Coke and Mentos cannon be used as a science experiment?

Yes, the Diet Coke and Mentos cannon is a popular science experiment that demonstrates principles of chemistry and physics. It can be used to explore concepts such as gas pressure, chemical reactions, and nucleation. However, it should always be conducted under adult supervision and with safety precautions in place.