Obtaining very old blueprints?

• Thread starter Sojourner01
  • Start date
In summary: He is a knowledgeable individual and may be able to help you find what you are looking for. In summary, he can help you find vintage blueprints and may be able to help you restore them.
Sojourner01
Where would one be wise to look to obtain plans for old aircraft and parts - such as those last manufactured longer than fifty years ago? I ask because I'm curious about the technical feasibility of assembling a completely new replica of WWII aircraft to the original specifications. Are these materials likely to still exist, whether or not their owners are willing to disseminate them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest that yes, many plans are still in existence. Unless they've already made it into the free market though, I would guess that it would be extremely difficult to obtain them.

If you have a craft in mind, you could try writing to the relevant historical aviation organisations.

It might also be worth getting involved with individuals or organisations who have already achieved such goals. One which springs to my mind is the Vulcan Restoration Trust (www.avrovulcan.com)[/URL]. Even if it's not the specific aircraft you're interested in, I'm sure that they have far bigger banks of resources than you'll find by internet searches.

Stick around and see what Fred and Danger say on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, the best place to start are historical societies. Some companies also fund their own heritage/company history archives - e.g. see http://www.rolls-royce.com/history/heritage/

You could also try companies that specialize in maintaining old aircraft - e.g. Marshalls at Cambridge in the UK.

Remember that most drawings from even 25 years ago were produced on drawing boards not computer CAD systems. With luck, the master copies will have been microfilmed, but there may only be one or two copies of the films in existence so you will need some serious "street cred" to be able to get access to them. Established historical societies can provide that.

Be aware you are talking about a HUGE quantity of drawings, if you are serious about replicating a complete aircraft. The joke that the first prototype of an aircraft cannot be cleared for takeoff until the mass of the drawings equals the mass of the plane is a indeed a joke - but only just.

There are certainly people who are flying replica Spitfires - so all you need is enough cash to fund the project...

I ask because it's a far future ambition of mine to construct a replica De Havilland Mosquito from scratch - and I mean from scratch - as far as is possible. I'm not aware of any other such project so it would be unique. It may perhaps be an advantage that the engines were Rolls-Royce so if they could be persuaded to lend their plans for a heritage project, things may be go.

On the Mosquito's 100th anniversary, I'll be 53. That's a realistic target to aim for.

I really don't mean to belittle your ambition, and in fact I admire anyone who has the enthusiasm and dedication to set about such a task. I also assume you've given full consideration to the lengths you'd need to go to for achievement of your goal.

But yeah, that's a pretty ambitious project! I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours, keep us updated with how it goes.

Heh. I'm in no position to even think about starting such a project yet. It's just a pipe dream.

What may end up more likely is a mosquito airframe - which was almost all wood, to the point that they were built in piano factories - with stock engines and such.

So, I suppose a supplementary question is: Which contemporary aero engines available on the open market are suitable analogues to the Rolls Royce Merlin?

The foregoing advice is probably the best approach. I would also consider contacting the Experimental Aircraft Association and the Confederate Airforce.

You might be able to get a real Merlin engine from somewhere. RR were still selling them in the 1970s, for power boat racing. I expect a few of those are still around.

Hello to all!

My name is Manuel Thomas and I may be of great help to you . I am the owner of the following site.

www.48gaba.com[/URL]

I digitally restore vintage blueprints and could be of assistance to you obtaining the prints you ae looking for .

manuel

1. What is the process for obtaining very old blueprints?

The first step is to determine the source of the blueprints. This could be a historical archive, a museum, or a private collection. Once the source is identified, you will need to contact the owner or curator to inquire about obtaining copies of the blueprints.

2. Are there any legal requirements for obtaining very old blueprints?

It is important to research and understand the copyright laws surrounding the blueprints you are seeking. Depending on the age and ownership of the blueprints, you may need to obtain permission from the original creator or their estate before obtaining copies.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of very old blueprints?

When obtaining very old blueprints, it is important to verify the authenticity and accuracy of the documents. This can be done through comparison with other existing blueprints, consultation with experts in the field, or through research of historical documents and records.

4. Are there any limitations to obtaining very old blueprints?

Some very old blueprints may be fragile or delicate due to their age, and therefore may have limitations on their accessibility. Additionally, there may be restrictions on obtaining certain blueprints due to their historical or cultural significance.

5. What are the potential uses for very old blueprints?

Very old blueprints can have a variety of uses, including historical research, preservation of architectural or engineering designs, and inspiration for modern projects. They can also serve as valuable educational resources for students and professionals in related fields.