Potential Difference of Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel-plate capacitor with a given area and distance between plates, and a stored charge. The goal is to find the potential difference and electric field magnitude. After trying an incorrect equation, the correct equations are used to find the answers. The expert suggests using a simpler equation and points out a mistake in the calculation of capacitance. Eventually, the solution is found using the correct equation.
AdKo

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has an area of 5 cm^2, and the plates are separated by 1mm with air between them. The capacitor stores a charge of 400pC. a) What is the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor? b) What is the magnitude of the uniform electric field in the region between the plates?

Homework Equations

1. [tex]U_{c}=\frac{1}{2}C(\Delta V)^2[/tex]
2. [tex]C=\epsilon_{0}\frac{A}{d}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using equation #1, [tex]\Delta V=\sqrt{\frac{2(400*10^-12C)}{(4.425*10^-10F)}}[/tex]

V=1.3446 V ... however, the answer in the back of the book is: 90.4 V
What am I doing wrong here? I'm pretty sure I'm using the right equation.

b) E=V/d I plugged in the book's answer for V and used the given distance to find the electric field magnitude. Help me on part a please? :smile: Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation listed doesn't make sense for this problem. That is the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor, which you don't know (U does not equal the charge). Try to find a simplier equation containing the three things you know.
For your calculation of C using equation 2: You answer isn't quite right. I suspect you didn't convert the area from cm^2 to m^2 properly.

hage567 said:
Your first equation listed doesn't make sense for this problem. That is the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor, which you don't know (U does not equal the charge). Try to find a simplier equation containing the three things you know.
For your calculation of C using equation 2: You answer isn't quite right. I suspect you didn't convert the area from cm^2 to m^2 properly.

thanks for all your help. I solved by using C=Q/V :rofl: that was easy. :biggrin:

What is the definition of potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit or system. It is a measure of the electrical energy required to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

How is potential difference related to capacitors?

In a capacitor, potential difference is the difference in electric potential between the two plates. This potential difference creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is volts, which is represented by the symbol V. One volt is equivalent to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge.

How does the potential difference affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The potential difference has a direct relationship with the capacitance of a capacitor. As the potential difference increases, the capacitance also increases. This means that a higher potential difference results in a larger amount of electrical energy that can be stored in the capacitor.

Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the flow of positive charge. In this case, the potential energy of the charge decreases as it moves from a higher potential to a lower potential, resulting in a negative potential difference.