Understanding Trig Identities: Sum and Diff. & Multiple Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of understanding and applying trigonometric identities for both theoretical and practical purposes. These identities can be helpful in solving problems related to physics and engineering, and it is recommended to practice with a variety of problems and refer to a list of identities for assistance.
tanisha89
can anyone help me understand the following and how to apply them:

tig identities
sum and diff. indentities
multiple angle indentities

I'd really appreciate it. Thanx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For understanding, some rely on equation for a circle; for many, graphical representations help to derive and then apply in theoretical exercises.

For practical applications, look to physics and engineering. Law of Cosines and law of Sines are often applicable. One of the Trigonometry books by Larson (and who else?) have some exercises for vectors that occur in physics.

it really only gets better by doing lots of problems that require them.

But really, if you're trying to solve something that involves trig, and the result is too ugly or irreducible, I would consult the wikipedia trig identity list.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to directly help or teach you trig through a forum. If you have a teacher, ask him/her. That's what I found worked, and like said before practice the problems. Have the idents next to you as you practice a variety of problems, evuntually you will learn and memorize them.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. Why is it important to understand trigonometric identities?

Understanding trigonometric identities allows us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and solve trigonometric equations more easily. It also helps in proving mathematical theorems and in applications of trigonometry, such as in physics and engineering.

3. What are the sum and difference identities?

The sum and difference identities are trigonometric identities that express the sine, cosine, and tangent of the sum or difference of two angles in terms of the sine, cosine, and tangent of the individual angles. They are: sin(A ± B) = sinAcosB ± cosAsinB, cos(A ± B) = cosAcosB ∓ sinAsinB, and tan(A ± B) = (tanA ± tanB) / (1 ∓ tanAtanB).

4. How do you use sum and difference identities?

To use sum and difference identities, you need to know the values of the trigonometric functions for the individual angles. Then, you can plug in those values into the respective identity to find the value of the trigonometric function for the sum or difference of the angles.

5. What are multiple angle identities?

Multiple angle identities are trigonometric identities that express the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle multiplied by a number (such as 2, 3, or 4) in terms of the sine, cosine, and tangent of the original angle. They are: sin(nA) = 2sinAcosA cos(nA) = cosnA - sinnA, and tan(nA) = (tanAn - n tanA) / (1 - tan2An).